You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-25 06:09:53

codedcosmos

System randomly freezes while playing games (AMD)

So I recently installed arch and have really enjoyed it. Unfortunately my system randomly freezes when playing games for an unknown reason that I am unable to diagnose. The system never freezes when idle or when just using 2D graphics even if it is intensive 2D games. However 3D will cause system freezes. Also replacing my asus r7-240 with my current card XFX RX-460. Prevents those freezes which suggests to me that I installed the drivers incorrectly or have done something wrong in that department. Also the system runs considerably slower in terms of FPS compared to other operating systems, which also supports my suspicions of bad drivers.

I have also tried adding a kernel parameter to use pci 3.0 speeds instead of 2.0 and did not fix the issue. Lastly im not sure if the magic request key is enabled by default on arch but in any case it doesn't seem to work.

Quick notes:
The installation is fresh.
SMART checks on hard drives reveal no issues.
Memtest shows no problems with ram
I got a friend to test my gpu in their system and they found it to be completely stable (The tests were in windows)
Yes all the cables are plugged in correctly.
Ram doesn't max out during games.
All hardware components have been tested and aren't broken.
There is no overclocking or overheating going on.
The games are running on a zpool and the actual installation of arch is in a ext4 partition.

System specs:
Motherboard: Asus prime b350-plus (Latest bios)
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
GPU: XFX RX 460
RAM: 1x 8 gig Corsair 2133Mhz
PowerSupply: 650W

System versions:
Xorg: 1.19.3
Mesa: 17.2.1-3
Linux kernal: 4.12.13

Logs:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9eX6r … sp=sharing

This issue really perplexes me, so any help is very much appreciated. Cheers

Board footer