You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-26 01:26:35

Xavion

[SOLVED] The 'stderred' library was freezing Java, needed disabling

I'm having big problems with Java on my system.  Even the simplest commands freeze and I don't know why.  It doesn't matter whether I'm using the "jre8-openjdk", "jdk8", or "jdk" packages: the result is always the same.

For example: whenever I simply run "java -version", the process hangs forever!  I managed to get a thread dump by issuing a 'SIGQUIT'.  You can view it here.  Does anyone know what's causing this problem (and how to fix it)?

Last edited by Xavion (2017-09-27 22:07:27)

#2 2017-09-26 06:37:47

Xavion

Re: [SOLVED] The 'stderred' library was freezing Java, needed disabling

It's okay, I eventually worked out what was happening.  The "stderred-git" package appears to have gone on the blink.  Removing "/usr/lib/libstderred.so" from the 'LD_PRELOAD' environment variable fixed the problem.

#3 2017-09-26 12:10:57

Lone_Wolf

The "stderred-git" package appears to have gone on the blink

That's an aur package, and you are responsible for maintaining aur packages on your system.
If you don't remember removing that package :

stop automating tasks you should handle yourself with some unofficial "helper" program
OR
hire a dectective to find the intruder that removed the program without your knowledge or consent.

Note :
check /var/log/pacman.log to find out how and by who/what stderred-git was removed.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#4 2017-09-26 16:38:56

seth

Sure he meant the lib is gone?
Some dangeling reference in the ld loader chain is rather not prone to cause excessive CPU load - I'd rather say the library got dated (AUR issue nevertheless) or struggles with (newer?) java runtimes.

#5 2017-09-26 21:20:51

Xavion

I have no idea what @Lone_Wolf is talking about: "gone on the blink" does not simply mean "gone".  As you can see here, the definition is (roughly) "no longer working properly".

The "stderred-git" package and library are still present on my system.  I would say that @seth's explanation is likely to be correct.  The library is simply out-of-date and doesn't work with newer (Java) runtimes.

#6 2017-09-27 07:22:48

seth

Well, I guess the takeaway here is that "slang leads to friction" ;-)

Anyway, you should either tag this as [SOLVED] or alter the subject (edit your first post) to reflect the new problem (after you ensured the problem remains with a rebuild of the AUR package ;-) - and ultimately raise this to the package maintainer.

#7 2017-09-27 22:43:06

Xavion

The problem did persist after a rebuild/reboot; I tested that out on Tuesday.  In line with your suggestion, I've gotten off my arse and notified upstream this morning.

Regarding the use of slang, don't forget that I'm an Aussie.  It'd be like trying to stop an alco from getting on the piss.  Let's see how @Lone_Wolf goes with that one. :-)

Board footer