You are not logged in.

#26 2017-09-26 12:58:19

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: (Discussed) How to avoid partial upgrade

Thanks for the link, but just the same, whether we call this a partial upgrade or not is just semantics.  To some a "partial upgrade" is any time the installed packages are not in sync with the main repos from some specific point in time - this could be due to a problematic mirror, or due to the unfortunate coincidence of a mirror syncing at exactly the moment the main repos are themselves 'partially upgraded' (there have been several incidences of this recently as multiple packages are added to the repos at nearly but not exactly the same time).  To others a "partial upgrade" is purely the result of user error either via some variant of `pacman -Sy <pkg>` or downgrading or holding back specific packages.

In any case, I'm still curious what the point of this thread is.  The solution to the schroot problem is a full upgrade - I'd assume by now that problem has been solved.  As for avoiding partial upgrades, the means to avoid the second definition of partial upgrade is simply to not do it.  Avoiding the first often isn't really the user's responsibility (having good mirrors is, but the rest is out of the user's control).

Last edited by Trilby (2017-09-26 13:00:00)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#27 2017-09-26 13:45:40

eschwartz
Fellow

I'd say an out of sync mirror is still a partial upgrade. The fact that that would be an understandable and forgivable partial upgrade does not mean it somehow isn't a partial upgrade. tongue

Ignoring warnings when pacman notes that it failed to update all the repository databases is OTOH not understandable at all, and not really forgivable either.
Note that current git versions of pacman fix FS#47599 by aborting when even one database fails to download.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#28 2017-09-26 14:47:30

loqs

@Trilby was just providing the links and quotes for context was not expressing a view on if it was a partial upgrade or not apologies for the confusion.

#29 2017-09-26 16:02:13

seth

[2017-09-16 10:55] [ALPM] upgraded boost-libs (1.64.0-2 -> 1.64.0-4)

But https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/pack … ages/boost says

2017-09-10	1.65.1-1: new upstream release

=> Crappy mirror.

#30 2017-09-27 05:51:22

makh

Trilby wrote:

Thanks for the link, but just the same, whether we call this a partial upgrade or not is just semantics.  To some a "partial upgrade" is any time the installed packages are not in sync with the main repos from some specific point in time - this could be due to a problematic mirror, or due to the unfortunate coincidence of a mirror syncing at exactly the moment the main repos are themselves 'partially upgraded' (there have been several incidences of this recently as multiple packages are added to the repos at nearly but not exactly the same time).  To others a "partial upgrade" is purely the result of user error either via some variant of `pacman -Sy <pkg>` or downgrading or holding back specific packages.

In any case, I'm still curious what the point of this thread is.  The solution to the schroot problem is a full upgrade - I'd assume by now that problem has been solved.  As for avoiding partial upgrades, the means to avoid the second definition of partial upgrade is simply to not do it.  Avoiding the first often isn't really the user's responsibility (having good mirrors is, but the rest is out of the user's control).

Yes schroot issue got resolved, the next day as I upgraded again.

System: LENOVO ThinkPad E14
Desktop: Xfce

#31 2017-09-27 05:52:46

makh

Eschwartz wrote:

I'd say an out of sync mirror is still a partial upgrade. The fact that that would be an understandable and forgivable partial upgrade does not mean it somehow isn't a partial upgrade. tongue

Ignoring warnings when pacman notes that it failed to update all the repository databases is OTOH not understandable at all, and not really forgivable either.
Note that current git versions of pacman fix FS#47599 by aborting when even one database fails to download.

But there was no alarm when repo was updated by my arch.

#32 2017-09-27 06:05:52

makh

Trilby wrote:
makh wrote:

Those are very old logs...

And?  If that is to imply that those entries are likely irrelevent for your schroot problem, I'd agree.  But they are relevant for the question you actually asked in this thread (see title).

This thread is a bit confusing as there are two entirely different questions being asked as if they are the same thing: 1) how to avoid partial upgrades (and/or an implicit where was the partial upgrade that broke schroot) and 2) why is schroot not working.

These two are assumed to be the same question based solely on a premise that the schroot maintainer provided.  What was their evidence that a partial upgrade caused your problem?  Could they have been wrong?  Could it have been just a proposed explanation / initial suspicion?  I can imagine it would be a plausible hypothesis from the maintainer on why you had problems with schroot.  But then it goes untested and assumed to be fact.  If the "very old logs" aren't relevant to your schroot problem, then it's likely that the maintainers hypthesis can now be rejected.

So do you still want/need help getting schroot working?  If so, you'd need to tell us about what the problem actually is (preferably in a new thread).  Or do you just want to focus on understanding partial upgrades?  If so, haven't we acheived that yet?  Can you mark the thread as [SOLVED] or do you have further questions about parital upgrades?

Sir! Here, I want to know how to avoid a partial upgrade. I am confused as to what really happened. But I want to avoid it in future, definitely.

Thankyou

#33 2017-09-27 06:33:09

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

makh wrote:
Eschwartz wrote:

But there was no alarm when repo was updated by my arch.

Eschwartz was not saying there will be an 'alarm' all the time, just that, in the situation where warnings are given, ignoring them is irresponsible.

If the source of the problem is partial mirror syncs, there's no alarm.

makh wrote:

Sir! Here, I want to know how to avoid a partial upgrade. I am confused as to what really happened. But I want to avoid it in future, definitely.

Thankyou

As already discussed in this thread, it is not 100% possible to avoid it. Fortunately, now that you know what a partial upgrade is, if it should happen in the future you should also know what to do about it.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#34 2017-09-27 06:56:53

seth

https://www.archlinux.org/mirrors/status/
Use the mirrorlist generator or reflector to keep your mirrorlist free from junk and cruft. (That implies a cronjob or systemd timer to frequently update the list. No, I do not know what is a good frequency - I just run reflector once a week ;-)

#35 2017-09-27 11:55:19

fsckd
Forum Fellow

makh wrote:

Yes schroot issue got resolved, the next day as I upgraded again.

makh wrote:

Thankyou

Do you have the answer you seek? If so, please mark this thread as [SOLVED] as directed in the code of conduct.

Also, when replying to several people, please don't make a series of posts one after another. Use the edit feature or compose your post before submitting.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

Board footer