You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-25 20:11:58

ppb

Installed Arch with discrete gpu (nvidia), now I can't use intel gpu

Hello,

I have a Clevo P651RP6-G laptop. Before installing Arch I disabled intel graphics in bios, leaving only discrete gpu (nvidia 1060) and using proprietary drivers. Everything worked and still works after one year, but I thought I might try and see how the integrated graphics work. I booted to bios and enabled mshybrid (it was the only other option) but then the X's wouldn't start (or maybe it does, but displays just black screen). I read some topics in this forum about intel graphics, installed/uninstalled relevant packages, disabled wm (sddm), but nothing helped. After enabling mshybrid neither intel nor nvidia graphics seem to work (tried to start another X session with nvidia-xrun, but it just quits quietly). I honestly have no clue where to even start with troubleshooting, any hints?

Last edited by ppb (2017-09-25 20:21:46)

#2 2017-09-25 20:28:18

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Installed Arch with discrete gpu (nvidia), now I can't use intel gpu

Well looking at the xorg logs/journal should always be your first stop.

#3 2017-09-25 20:28:54

loqs

Welcome to the arch linux forums ppb.  So you enable Hybrid_graphics.  Which option are you attempting to pursue NVIDIA_Optimus or Bumblebee?

#4 2017-09-25 20:45:37

ppb

@loqs: I'd like to use proprietary graphics, so bumblebee or nvidia-xrun, but for now I'd like to be able to start X on intel in the first place, disregaerding nvidia. When it works, I'll think about hybrid. Or maybe I *have to* configure hybrid from scratch? From what I understand, if I enable mshybrid in bios, intel is used by default - and I am unsuccessfull running X on intel so far, therefore I'm not yet thinking about further steps.

@V1del: I did, but I didn't necessarily make anything out of them. :-/ I will try again and try to paste some logs here, right now they are all mixed up so it wouldn't make sense I think.

#5 2017-09-25 20:54:38

loqs

Do remove / disable /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf then post your Xorg.log.

#6 2017-09-25 21:38:52

ppb

Here's the log after removing 30-nvidia.conf and 00-keyboard.conf from /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/, enabling mshybrid in the bios and rebooting: https://pastebin.com/Li2Qs7y2
X's seem to start but all is black. I can switch to tty2 and see the server running in `ps aux`, though. Just no (expected) output.

Last edited by ppb (2017-09-25 21:41:49)

#7 2017-09-25 22:14:24

loqs

[     5.505] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[     5.506] (II) Loading /usr/lib/nvidia/xorg/libglx.so
[     5.521] (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"

Please remove the nvidia and nvidia-utils packages then retry and post an updated Xorg.log

#8 2017-09-25 23:23:54

ppb

Well, after removing nvidia, nvidia-utils, lib32-nvidia-utils and nvidia-settings, the laptop actually booted into the login screen (sddm) but it would freeze everything except for the mouse cursor when I entered the password. At least that's what happened with xfce. When I changed the session to mate, I managed to log in once, but after logging back out everything froze again. I tried disabling sddm and doing the "classic" startx route, but I couldn't run either xfce or mate - first it would say (quoting from the memory as I couldn't figure out how to redirect the output to a file): waiting for x server to start accepting connections, then a lot of dots, then server refuses to accept connections, disabling x server, server refuses to disable, sending KILL signal to server, server refuses to die, the end. I couldn't kill the server as root either, and thus I couldn't effectively reboot other than hard-resetting the laptop. Here are X logs from the "clean" boot after removing proprietary nvidia drivers, not including the point where the system would freeze: https://pastebin.com/GjKZLBK6

Thanks for your help but I have to give up for today, I'll investigate further tomorrow, but for now I'm back with the safe solution of discrete gpu + proprietary drivers.

#9 2017-09-26 07:45:30

seth

[     5.522] (II) Applying OutputClass "nvidia" to /dev/dri/card0
[     5.522] (II) Applying OutputClass "intel" to /dev/dri/card1

Smells like nvidia is your primary GPU.
Can you alter the order in BIOS settings?

#10 2017-09-26 07:48:55

ppb

seth wrote:
[     5.522] (II) Applying OutputClass "nvidia" to /dev/dri/card0
[     5.522] (II) Applying OutputClass "intel" to /dev/dri/card1

Smells like nvidia is your primary GPU.
Can you alter the order in BIOS settings?

No, I can only switch between DISCRETE and MSHYBRID, no other gpu settings in bios. Also the laptop has GSYNC screen and I've just read in another thread (not sure if it's true) that optimus/bumblebee etc. can't be used with gsync cards/screens. So I'll probably rest my case...

#11 2017-09-26 07:54:33

V1del
Forum Moderator

There might also be some conflict here. What happens if you simply install bumblebee? It ships with xorg configlets that should do the correct "rewiring". so that the standard xorg doesn't attempt to load nvidia. (And keep the nvidia driver installed, if you would try to "switch" to nouveau I assume the freeze happening because nouveau tries to modeset/access a card it can't handle)

Edit: That might also be a factor, the fact that you even have the ability to switch in UEFI makes this somewhat of a special case, the usual Optimus setups don't allow this anymore.

Last edited by V1del (2017-09-26 07:57:11)

#12 2017-09-26 14:06:43

olivarch

Hi, 
I've got a  Clevo P650RP6-G and when I used it first I used it in MSHYBRID mode.
The intel driver was working fine. Bumblebee was a bit more difficult to use so I moved to DISCRETE mode.

Regarding your issue, have you tried clean install with only intel and mesa drivers ?

#13 2017-09-26 14:56:35

ppb

olivarch wrote:

Hi, 
I've got a  Clevo P650RP6-G and when I used it first I used it in MSHYBRID mode.
The intel driver was working fine. Bumblebee was a bit more difficult to use so I moved to DISCRETE mode.

Regarding your issue, have you tried clean install with only intel and mesa drivers ?

No, I don't want to reinstall the system as everything is working fine (which required some fine-tuning as well). I was thinking of trying some live-boot, but I'm not sure if I want to pursue it any more. My main goal was to make the laptop a bit more quiet in everyday tasks and I thought switching to intel might do it. Since you tried it, can you confirm or deny that this would help? Alternatively I'm thinking of some ways of throttle down the nvidia so that it doesn't heat up and consequently doesn't need to run the fans that much; I don't think it would really hurt performance of e.g. youtube, but I'm not sure.

#14 2017-09-27 07:31:09

olivarch

Yes it would help. in MSHYBRID it's much quieter.

It may be possible to throttle down the nvidia with the nvidia-settings, I haven't tried.

Board footer