You are not logged in.
I was surprised today to see I cannot login to my user account. I did some updates recently, but I don't think I have run an update today, although that might be possible, so I don't know why this problem out of the blue. Long time ago I have setup /home partition to be encrypted with LUKS, decrypted and mounted automatically upon login (encryption password matches my user password). So I tried to decrypt the volume and mount it manually and it worked, I could login. I looked up the journal, and there was some info from failed login attempt:
login[1010]: (mount.c:72):
login[1010]: (mount.c:72):
login[1010]: (mount.c:72): Messages from underlying mount program:
login[1010]: (mount.c:72): /dev/mapper/_dev_sda12: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
login[1010]: (mount.c:72): (i.e., without -a or -p options)Again, the device mounts just fine with manual:
cryptsetup open /dev/sda12 home
mount /dev/mapper/home /home
But for some reason it won't mount on login.
Reminding myself this article: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm … g_at_login I don't see a way how I can fix it. Hope someone more experienced know what is it about.
Last edited by kox (2017-09-27 18:50:19)
Offline
UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
Did you?
Offline
I got this:
https://storage.googleapis.com/cohesive … C_0075.JPG
But I didn't know what to do so I just quit the app. Is it safe to fix all those errors? I have very important data on that volume, basically all my data is on it. And it works just fine, except that it won't mount on login. I think it's totally unrelated.
-- read the Code of Conduct and only post thumbnails http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cod … s_and_code [jwr] --
Last edited by jasonwryan (2017-09-27 21:06:42)
Offline
I would suggest you image the encrypted volume if you can not do that then mount the filesystem read-only and backup all the data before proceeding.
Offline
Ok, I don't have space to image it, but I will definitely back it up to another computer. So after I back up, I run fsck like on the screenshot and hope for the best? Are there any additional precautions to take when dealing with encrypted volumes?
Offline
Unless the opening of the luks volume is generating errors or warnings there should be no additional issues from using that after it is opened it just appears as another block device to the system.
You could also run a S.M.A.R.T. test on the device and look through the journal for entries noting "not cleanly unmounted"
Offline