[SOLVED] Issue with wxgtk2 prevents system upgrade

I have been attempting to upgrade my Arch Linux system. The problem that
I encounter is that two wxgtk-packets seem to stand in conflict. Unwilling
to force any upgrades, I have so far needed to leave my system as it is. The
error message is below.

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community                         4.0 MiB  2.03M/s 00:02 [##############################] 100%
 archlinuxfr is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace texlive-genericextra with extra/texlive-core? [Y/n] 
:: Replace texlive-htmlxml with extra/texlive-formatsextra? [Y/n] 
:: Replace texlive-plainextra with extra/texlive-core? [Y/n] 
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: wxgtk2 and wxgtk-light are in conflict (wxgtk). Remove wxgtk-light? [y/N] 
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: wxgtk2 and wxgtk-light are in conflict

Last edited by catnap (2017-09-28 15:49:56)

#2 2017-09-28 14:19:51

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] Issue with wxgtk2 prevents system upgrade

Get rid of archlinuxfr and then get rid of wxgtk-light (as it is not an official Arch package) because if you knew why you would want to keep it you wouldn't be asking this question.  If you really want to keep it you should update it to a current version which is https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wxgtk2-light

Mod note, not a package upgrade issue, moving to AUR issues.

#3 2017-09-28 14:35:06

catnap

V1del wrote:

Get rid of archlinuxfr and then get rid of wxgtk-light (as it is not an official Arch package) because if you knew why you would want to keep it you wouldn't be asking this question.

You are right to assume that I did not know what the package is for. This is the case for most of the packages in my system. However, when I inquired into the matter with pacman -Qi wxgtk-light, I found that the package is a dependency for both audacity and gnuplot. Because those packages are not in a present use, removing them was not an issue.

At the moment, the system seems to be upgrading without further error messages.

#4 2017-09-28 15:22:29

V1del
Forum Moderator

That is a dangerous habit. You really should be aware of why you are installing certain packages especially so if they are replacing a "core" library whom other applications in the repository depend on. This issue likely arose because you use archlinuxfr (on the top of the repo list no less) which provided wxgtk in form of the "-light" package. Again, remove archlinuxfr and packages installed from it, it has a high potential of similar breakage as has been seen here.

#5 2017-09-28 15:48:43

catnap

V1del wrote:

You really should be aware of why you are installing certain packages especially so if they are replacing a "core" library whom other applications in the repository depend on.

Thank you for your kind advice. I will be more cognizant about the purpose of the packages that I install to avoid similar problem in future. Fortunately my problems did not deepen this time when dealing with the packages. But my experience with Ubuntu updates testify that attempting too many package updates past the official package manager can have very adverse consequences.

Board footer