You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-29 03:57:44

adamcraig115

[solved] SDDM kicks me back to login prompt after correct password

I'm trying to use Plasma+KDE. Everything was working fine for me earlier today but I was seeing a lot of tearing (NVIDIA GTX 1060)...I had proprietary drivers installed, so I ripped them out to see how nouveau would preform...turns out it's even worse, seems to be something to do with the lack of power management. And then I read something about how NVIDIA is incompatible with Wayland, so I uninstall that and try to use vanilla X, now this issue with SDDM is happening. I tried uninstalling the NVIDIA drivers again and reinstalling nouveau drivers, the issue remains. I made sure to reboot and just to be safe reinstalled xorg-server and associated packages when swapping out drivers.

To clarify, after successfully entering my password, the screen goes black briefly, and then returns me to the SDDM login prompt. It doesn't make it to the KDE loading bar. I'm still able to use the console/get back to TTY, and nothing freezes. It just won't give me the desktop.

I read on other threads regarding this issue that this is caused by a bug in the "breezy" theme...but the Xorg logs indicate that it can't even find breezy so it's using a default theme, and the problem remains the same if I manually change /etc/sddm.conf to use a different theme like maui.

The issue continues even if I reinstall Wayland.

Can somebody please help me troubleshoot this issue? I have general linux experience (mostly Centos) but this week has been my first crack at installing Arch and it's been satisfying, but the graphical stuff has really thrown me for a loop, especially when it comes to GPU drivers and troubleshooting. Thanks!

Last edited by adamcraig115 (2017-09-30 19:09:53)

#2 2017-09-29 06:43:54

seth

Re: [solved] SDDM kicks me back to login prompt after correct password

No offense, but that post is a random collection of nonsensical tokens.

NVIDIA is incompatible with Wayland, so I uninstall that and try to use vanilla X

This makes no sense *at all*

the Xorg logs indicate that it can't even find breezy so it's using a default theme

"breezy" (or any other desktop theme) would certainly not be mentioned in the xorg log - functional or not.

even if I reinstall Wayland

nvidia, kde, xorg ... wayland???

I suggest your provide your entire pacman log so people can get a remote idea on what you did over there.
Wild guess is that you uninstalled KDE ...

#3 2017-09-29 23:32:15

adamcraig115

Sorry, I'm still wrapping my head around this stuff and am probably still mixing a lot of things up -- I'll try to explain my thought process a little better.

NVIDIA is incompatible with Wayland, so I uninstall that and try to use vanilla X
This makes no sense *at all*

I've seen on several different threads talk of NVIDIA proprietary drivers not supporting KDE's Wayland implementation. Old thread: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi … support-/1
Somewhat more recent: https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comm … on_nvidia/
Seems like it *can* work, but it's more complexity than I want to mess with right now -- I just want a working desktop (again) and then to work out the tearing issues.

"breezy" (or any other desktop theme) would certainly not be mentioned in the xorg log - functional or not.

my mistake, I meant SDDM logs.

Which Pacman logs should I paste here? Any other config files I can supply that might help get to the bottom of this?

Wild guess is that you uninstalled KDE ...

[adam@lucy ~]$ sudo pacman -Q | grep kde
kde-cli-tools 5.10.5-1
kde-gtk-config 5.10.5-1
kdeclarative 5.38.0-1
kdecoration 5.10.5-1
kded 5.38.0-1
kdelibs4support 5.38.0-1
kdeplasma-addons 5.10.5-1
kdesu 5.38.0-1
libblockdev 2.12-1
polkit-kde-agent 5.10.5-1
xdg-desktop-portal-kde 5.10.5-1

I wish it were that simple sad

#4 2017-09-29 23:42:54

loqs

/var/log/pacman.log
After failing to log in via  sddm ( assuming your user can access the system log otherwise use sudo )

$ journalctl -b -u sddm.service 

Edit:
pacman.log not pacmanlog

Last edited by loqs (2017-09-29 23:43:24)

#5 2017-09-29 23:43:45

adamcraig115

My xorg.conf, generated by nvidia-xconfig:

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 384.90  (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-05)  Tue Sep 19 18:13:03 PDT 2017

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

sddm.log:
https://pastebin.com/dNhCM9w6

#6 2017-09-29 23:44:22

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

adamcraig115 wrote:

Which Pacman logs should I paste here?

The only one: /var/log/pacman.log Please use a paste site and upload the entire log: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … in_clients

adamcraig115 wrote:

generated by nvidia-xconfig

That will just break things; don't use it.

Moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#7 2017-09-29 23:48:24

adamcraig115

pacman log: https://ptpb.pw/FLR_

Edit: apologies for starting this in the wrong subforum, I was reading some other SDDM threads here and they had gotten moved to Desktop Environments.

Last edited by adamcraig115 (2017-09-29 23:49:55)

#8 2017-09-30 07:40:19

seth

[2017-09-28 21:51] [PACMAN] Running 'pacman -Rdd lib32-wayland kwayland kwayland-integration qt5-wayland'

lib32-wayland is a dependency for lib32-mesa, kwayland is a dependency for plasma-framework (and a bunch of other KDE packages)

You also uninstalled wayland-protocols (which is at least a dependency for gtk3) and wayland (which is an indirect dependency for kwayland), but recently re-installed them.

Ignoring dependencies on package removal is no good idea unless you really know what you're doing.

#9 2017-09-30 19:08:42

adamcraig115

Thank you so much -- reinstalling lib32-wayland and kwayland fixed the issue. When I logged in, everything seemed like it was back to normal.  Lesson learned about copying commands from the internet without looking up the flags first...  I appreciate your help!

Last thing -- somebody above said nvidia-xconfig would break things, but I didn't see any other leads in the wiki for nvidia for proper manual configuration. I will look around for resources on this but if somebody could help point me in the right direction that would be awesome. Still very new to xorg and the visual/DE/WM/DM aspects of an arch system.

#10 2017-09-30 19:13:39

loqs

Xorg#Configuration As the wiki notes in general there is no need need for manual configuration.
If some configuration is needed useing .conf snippets in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ is recomended.

Board footer