You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-30 09:03:31

mindless
Member
Registered: 2017-01-21
Posts: 29

Xorg, Synaptics: touch pad resolution too low

I just got an Thinkpad X220 and I have an issue with the touchpad, it's kind of jumpy.

The trackpoint is perfect, I can move smoothly but that's not the case with the touchpad.

So I tried to create a configuration file and set the resolution by hand by I don't know what to set and different values doesn't make any difference..

# /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/01-touchpad.conf

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "touchpad catchall"
    MatchIsTouchpad "on"
    MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
    Driver "synaptics"
 
    # three fingers for the middle button
    Option "TapButton3" "2"
    # drag lock
    Option "LockedDrags" "1"
    # accurate tap-to-click!
    Option "FingerLow" "50"
    Option "FingerHigh" "55"
 
    # prevents too many intentional clicks
    Option "PalmDetect" "0"
 
    # "natural" vertical and horizontal scrolling
    Option "VertTwoFingerScroll" "1"
    Option "VertScrollDelta" "-75"
    Option "HorizTwoFingerScroll" "1"
    Option "HorizScrollDelta" "-75"
    # I have set my screen resolution but it doesn't make any difference
    Option "VertResolution" "768"  
    Option "HorizResolution" "1366"
 
    Option "MinSpeed" "1"
    Option "MaxSpeed" "1"
 
    Option "AccelerationProfile" "2"
    Option "ConstantDeceleration" "4"
EndSection

EDIT:

I noticed in the Xorg log that synaptics wasn't found so I installed the package and now it makes a difference, I just have to fnd the good values.

Last edited by mindless (2017-09-30 09:10:12)

Offline

#2 2017-09-30 18:43:48

glitsj16
Member
Registered: 2015-04-26
Posts: 126

Re: Xorg, Synaptics: touch pad resolution too low

To experiment with settings like these to find tour 'sweetspot' values, it might be easier using a tool like synclient. That way you don't need to restart Xorg on every try (see here).

Another note, If you're trying to manually set display size and DPI you'd need to do that in a "Monitor" Section. Under "InputClass" Xorg doesn't understand what you're asking it to do.

Happy hunting for those values.

Offline

#3 2017-10-01 16:55:25

mindless
Member
Registered: 2017-01-21
Posts: 29

Re: Xorg, Synaptics: touch pad resolution too low

glitsj16 wrote:

To experiment with settings like these to find tour 'sweetspot' values, it might be easier using a tool like synclient. That way you don't need to restart Xorg on every try (see here).

Thanks for the tip. I checked it out but I don't know what parameter should I play with.

synclient -l
Parameter settings:
    LeftEdge                = 1617
    RightEdge               = 5326
    TopEdge                 = 1597
    BottomEdge              = 4584
    FingerLow               = 25
    FingerHigh              = 30
    MaxTapTime              = 180
    MaxTapMove              = 243
    MaxDoubleTapTime        = 180
    SingleTapTimeout        = 180
    ClickTime               = 100
    EmulateMidButtonTime    = 0
    EmulateTwoFingerMinZ    = 282
    EmulateTwoFingerMinW    = 7
    VertScrollDelta         = 110
    HorizScrollDelta        = 110
    VertEdgeScroll          = 0
    HorizEdgeScroll         = 0
    CornerCoasting          = 0
    VertTwoFingerScroll     = 1
    HorizTwoFingerScroll    = 0
    MinSpeed                = 1
    MaxSpeed                = 1.75
    AccelFactor             = 0.0361402
    TouchpadOff             = 0
    LockedDrags             = 0
    LockedDragTimeout       = 5000
    RTCornerButton          = 0
    RBCornerButton          = 0
    LTCornerButton          = 0
    LBCornerButton          = 0
    TapButton1              = 0
    TapButton2              = 0
    TapButton3              = 0
    ClickFinger1            = 1
    ClickFinger2            = 3
    ClickFinger3            = 2
    CircularScrolling       = 0
    CircScrollDelta         = 0.1
    CircScrollTrigger       = 0
    CircularPad             = 0
    PalmDetect              = 0
    PalmMinWidth            = 10
    PalmMinZ                = 200
    CoastingSpeed           = 20
    CoastingFriction        = 50
    PressureMotionMinZ      = 30
    PressureMotionMaxZ      = 160
    PressureMotionMinFactor = 1
    PressureMotionMaxFactor = 1
    GrabEventDevice         = 0
    TapAndDragGesture       = 1
    AreaLeftEdge            = 0
    AreaRightEdge           = 0
    AreaTopEdge             = 0
    AreaBottomEdge          = 0
    HorizHysteresis         = 27
    VertHysteresis          = 27
    ClickPad                = 1
    RightButtonAreaLeft     = 3471
    RightButtonAreaRight    = 0
    RightButtonAreaTop      = 4201
    RightButtonAreaBottom   = 0
    MiddleButtonAreaLeft    = 0
    MiddleButtonAreaRight   = 0
    MiddleButtonAreaTop     = 0
    MiddleButtonAreaBottom  = 0
glitsj16 wrote:

Another note, If you're trying to manually set display size and DPI you'd need to do that in a "Monitor" Section. Under "InputClass" Xorg doesn't understand what you're asking it to do.

Even if I just want to edit my touchpad, I have to link it to a monitor ?

Offline

#4 2017-10-01 22:47:43

glitsj16
Member
Registered: 2015-04-26
Posts: 126

Re: Xorg, Synaptics: touch pad resolution too low

I cannot point you to the exact option you would need to change to solve your issue I'm afraid. That's what makes these touchpad issues hard to debug and fix. But 'man synaptics' helps in describing in detail what each of those options do, so you can narrow things down a bit at least. It also has a section on acceleration specifically, which I *think* is related to what you're trying to solve.

Re-reading that man page I now see where I got confused in regards to what you refer to as 'setting screen resolution' in the OP. I mistakenly read that as related to monitor resolution, sorry about that. Disregard that part, you were correct in placing Vert/HorizResolution under the InputClass section.

The wiki has a smallish note on jumpy cursors too. Maybe it's not a bad idea to present your issue at #archlinux via IRC. There's loads of very experienced people there that might offer a quicker solution to your issue.

Goodluck.

Offline

#5 2017-10-06 19:10:42

mindless
Member
Registered: 2017-01-21
Posts: 29

Re: Xorg, Synaptics: touch pad resolution too low

Thanks for your help. I haven't found the perfect settings so I decided to disable it and use the trackpoint only.

See ya smile

Offline

#6 2017-10-06 19:12:20

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 30,525
Website

Re: Xorg, Synaptics: touch pad resolution too low

Why are you using synaptics at all?

wiki wrote:

Warning: xf86-input-synaptics is no longer actively updated. If possible, use libinput.


"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

Offline

#7 2017-10-07 20:22:12

mindless
Member
Registered: 2017-01-21
Posts: 29

Re: Xorg, Synaptics: touch pad resolution too low

Trilby wrote:

Why are you using synaptics at all?

wiki wrote:

Warning: xf86-input-synaptics is no longer actively updated. If possible, use libinput.

Missed it ^^ Thank you

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB