You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-27 23:59:11

Ambyjkl

Headphones plugged in before boot do not work

I have a Dell XPS 9350 and I'm using pulseaudio, granted I'm pretty much a noob at it.

When I leave my headphones plugged in and reboot, once I log back in, my headphones don't get any audio. It assumes that my headphones are not plugged in, but at the same time mutes my laptop's speakers as well. Every time I need to unplug and plug my headphones back in, and I reboot multiple times a day, so it gets annoying.

Anyone else faces this issue? Any way to tell pulseaudio to check for my headphones upon login?

Thanks in advance

#2 2017-09-28 01:57:38

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Headphones plugged in before boot do not work

Does aplay -lL show the headphones after a reboot?

I reboot multiple times a day, so it gets annoying.

Hey! Whaddaya think this is, Windows?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2017-09-29 19:26:55

Ambyjkl

Does aplay -lL show the headphones after a reboot?

Yep, it does show all devices, including what I assume is the headphone port. Just to be sure, I did a diff of the output before and after a reboot to see if anything disappeared.

Sorry I was too vague, I checked pavucontrol as well and it indeed lists my headphones as "plugged in" after login, it just doesn't switch to it automatically; it uses my builtin speakers by default, but, perhaps due to a hardware check, the speakers are muted when anything is plugged into the headphone jack, even if I have the volume up all the way. So I either have to select the output device from pavucontrol, or just unplug and replug for it to cling onto my headphones.

Hey! Whaddaya think this is, Windows?

Well, right now I keep switching between linux and windows because I have to use a "proprietary" IDE for programming an ARM processor for schoolwork, for which they won't make a linux version "in the near or even medium distant future" (copied verbatim from their website); I'm not really enjoying it.

#4 2017-09-29 20:16:55

c00ter

The application Paprefs should allow what you want to happen.

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

#5 2017-09-30 22:23:49

Ambyjkl

The application Paprefs should allow what you want to happen.

paprefs is giving me an option for creating a virtual device that sends audio to every device, is that what you're talking about?

Board footer