You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-14 18:14:55

macaco

GDM keeps on spawning session to tty2

Already in GNOME 3.16 a login caused GDM to spawn your session to tty2, while gdm remained active on tty1.
This did not change with the advent of 3.18.

Is there any way to deactivate this annoying behaviour?

#2 2015-10-14 18:45:13

Ropid

Re: GDM keeps on spawning session to tty2

When I looked into this question a while ago, there was no way to disable this behavior.

If you replace GDM and switch to a different display manager like LightDM, features related to lock screen, suspend, shutdown stop working. I don't remember details so you might want to take a look yourself at what happens to Gnome when running without GDM. If the only problem is the lock-screen not working anymore, that can be replaced with the old 'gnome-screensaver' package.

#3 2015-10-14 19:17:01

liGNUx

At first, when I startet usinge GNOME shell, I also considered it a bit annoying (coming from LightDM with X on tty7). Now, I think it's a good way of quickly reaching the login screen and leaving the session active in the same time.

If your problem is a lack of ttys, you can tell systemd to use tty7 through tty12 (on respective F-Keys) by changing this line in /etc/systemd/logind.conf

NAutoVTs=12

(which is normally commented out). The number specified in this line will give you up to 12 ttys... two of which, of course, are still occupied by GNOME.

"Join us now and share the software"
                                        - Richard Stallman

Avatar by the GNU project (CC BY-SA 2.0)

#4 2015-10-14 19:51:03

phw

Not sure, but this is maybe related to the fact that GDM by default runs on Wayland and then needs to start the GDM X session on a separate tty.

Try if using GDM with X solves your issue. You can change that somewhere in the GDM config, search the forum or wiki.

Last edited by phw (2015-10-14 20:34:42)

#5 2015-10-14 20:21:00

liGNUx

phw wrote:

Try if using GDM with X solves your issue.

You are right that this changed GDM's tty behaviour. I tried forcing GDM to be run on X by uncommenting this line in /etc/gdm/custom.conf

WaylandEnable=false

The strange thing is that this does not force the GNOME shell session to tty1. As it seems, it just appears on a random tty (I tried it three times with it apprearing on tty3 twice and on tty4 once), rather than always on tty2 as when using Wayland for GDM.

I don't know whether this is what you expected to happen, macaco, but I personally don't consider this better than the "status quo".

Last edited by liGNUx (2015-10-14 20:22:58)

"Join us now and share the software"
                                        - Richard Stallman

Avatar by the GNU project (CC BY-SA 2.0)

#6 2015-10-15 02:37:23

quimkaos

I'm having the same issue, not that is really problematic, but it's annoying, and i think it's preventing the screen to auto-lock and auto turn off.
Using GDM and Gnome results in GMD staying permanently in tty1 and Gnome in tty2. Plus, in my case, after login in GDM, i have to change tty (to any tty) or gnome wont start in tty2 and I'll get stuck with the grey GDM default background. Again, if i won't change tty, gnome shell won't start.
The changes in /etc/systemd/logind.conf and /etc/gdm/custom.conf have no effect.

This behaviour doesn't occur with LightDM. with LightDM, both DM and DE will spawn in TTY ReserveVT +1 set in /etc/systemd/logind.conf: if ReserveVT = 6 (the default) the DM and DE will spawn in TTY 7. The problem is that LightDM is also broken. It has a bug: after selecting anything in the UI, the screen will go blank. if you have only one user, you can still login easily by pressing enter and typing your password.

Any other solution for this?

#7 2017-10-02 11:19:05

luso58

Hello, this issue just came up on my laptop. I'm on GNOME 3.24.

Because the X session starts on a different tty, locking doesn't work.

Still no solution?

Last edited by luso58 (2017-10-02 11:23:41)

Board footer