You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-25 17:29:25

desertViking

gnome eject cd [Solved]

Hi,

I've seen some discussion on this, but was wondering if newer information is available.

I've got gnome, hal and dbus loaded, and when I insert a CD it comes up nicely.  I placed an entry for /media/disk in fstab and this give me some capability to eject the disk as root, but not as user.

I've downloaded 'eject' and this seems to work ok, but it would be nice to use the context menu for the CD (right mouse button) "eject" to unmount and eject the CD.

Nosing around it almost looks like a permissions or ownership problem on /dev/cdrom.  Ownership is set to root:root for the link, but the link is pretty involved so I'm not sure if this translates all the way down or not.  As it happens, root is the only group I am not a part of as a user.

I also don't know if this is a gnome thing or not, so perhaps this would be better asked someplace else.  Just let me know.

Is there a way to set this up?

Thx in advance.

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

#2 2006-06-25 19:33:30

soffcore

Re: gnome eject cd [Solved]

I have the eject thing working fine.  I am thinking it may have to deal with nautilus and the deamons you have loading on start up.  Here are some I have that I used to make gnome nice:

hal
portmap
fam
hwd

all hardware is found automatically (including new CD's inserted).. and the eject works fine from the context menu.  Not to mention that my friend brought her rio mp3 player over.. I spent 40 mins trying to get it set up on her windows based laptop.. I said screw it and plugged it in to the usb port on my computer (running only arch linux) and it worked in seconds big_smile

anywhoo.. Is the user account part of the optical group as well?

#3 2006-06-25 20:25:05

desertViking

Thanks for taking a minute to reply.
I've got all of those loaded, though not necessarily in that order.  Sometimes that matters, sometimes not.  None fail, though, when I boot.  The user is indeed part of the optical group.
When it poops out, I getUnable to eject media and when I expose more info, it saysumount: only root can unmount /dev/cdrom from /media/disk
eject: unmount of '/media/disk' failed
Autoload works great!
What are the ownership rights of /dev/cdrom on your system?

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

#4 2006-06-25 20:35:00

soffcore

hmm weird, this the permissions are as follows:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2006-06-25 07:27 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/cd/cdrom-hda

#5 2006-06-25 20:42:01

ingvildr

you shouldn't need to add entries for your media in fstab if you have dbus hal portmap fam and pmount.

#6 2006-06-25 20:47:08

Gullible Jones

soffcore wrote:

I have the eject thing working fine.  I am thinking it may have to deal with nautilus and the deamons you have loading on start up.  Here are some I have that I used to make gnome nice:

hal
portmap
fam
hwd

all hardware is found automatically (including new CD's inserted).. and the eject works fine from the context menu.  Not to mention that my friend brought her rio mp3 player over.. I spent 40 mins trying to get it set up on her windows based laptop.. I said screw it and plugged it in to the usb port on my computer (running only arch linux) and it worked in seconds big_smile

anywhoo.. Is the user account part of the optical group as well?

Just FWIW, uevents provides better autodetection than hwd, and portmap + fam are not needed unless you want to monitor remote files.

#7 2006-06-25 21:12:05

desertViking

Just FWIW, uevents provides better autodetection than hwd, and portmap + fam are not needed unless you want to monitor remote files.

udev is loaded automatically, correct?

#8 2006-06-25 22:09:30

desertViking

re:

you shouldn't need to add entries for your media in fstab if you have dbus hal portmap fam and pmount.

without it, the system complains that there's no entry in fstab.  Entering it, it only says that I am not root and don't have rights.  Hmphf, it's my pc, of COURSE I have the right!

#9 2006-06-25 22:22:43

desertViking

Something I just noticed was that even "eject" won't work unless I am superuser.

#10 2006-06-28 12:49:49

Brute
Website

add "user" in fstab options : something like that :

/dev/hdc    /mnt/cd        iso9660        ro,user,noauto,unhide    0    0

"user" allows you to mount-unmount a device as normal user.

Écartelé d'azur chargé de trois lys d'or et d'or au dauphin d'azur crêté, barbé, loré, peautré et oreillé de gueules.

#11 2006-06-28 17:43:18

Phrodo_00
Website

it all worked for me when I took those out of my fstab, now cds are mounted nicely in /media/(cd label) and everything works. I think it's because pmount doesn't do its job when the device exists in the fstab.

#12 2006-06-28 17:48:46

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

op eject

Mr Green

#13 2006-06-28 18:13:46

desertViking

There are two entries in fstab, one for a mount point I established in /mnt, and the other for the /media entry that I discovered whilst trying to use nautilus to eject the drive.

There were both formed with USER option, as suggested above.  I'd commented out the /media entry, but I believe there is still an entry for /mnt.  I'll try commenting both of those out and let you know.

Not sure about "op eject".  I am able to use eject from a terminal promt if executed as root (either su or sudo).

Thx for keeping this thread alive for a bit.  I'd like to figure it out.

Kind regards.

#14 2006-06-29 01:27:33

desertViking

I deleted the remnant fstab entry, and lo and behold, it works!

Note to all, any entries in fstab for the physical medium might cause problems.

Thx for talking through this with me.

Kind regards.

Board footer