You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-28 23:57:22

tomfitzyuk

Port Forwarding/Triggering Problems

Hey,

I've always had problems with port forwarding/triggering with my router but now that I've setup Apache I want to sort them out.

Right, I have two computers (one Arch, one Windows XP) behind a router so it isn't feasible to use port forwarding (at least this is what I assume, it seems I can only assign one IP to one port, which isn't very handy since both computers need to be able to access the WWW simultaneously).

However, when I have port 80 open (assigned to my Arch box's IP address) I am able to run a web server fine, meaning people are able to connect to http://82.42.16.34/php.php

Now, my other solution is to use port triggering which is what I think I use usually. Usually I have no port forwards/triggers set up at all and I'm able to access the WWW on both computers simultaneously, however, with this setup I am unable to connect to http://82.42.16.34/php.php

Even if I explicitly set port 80 in a trigger, I'm still unable to connect to http://82.42.16.34/php.php and worse, MSN stop working.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Finally, there's UPnP which I don't know much about. It's turned off though.

Tom

PS. I may try apache/php on Windows to see if this is a Arch-specific problem.

#2 2006-06-29 00:24:44

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Port Forwarding/Triggering Problems

is the router doing the forwarding/nat/pat?
What kind of router is it?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2006-06-29 00:33:12

tomfitzyuk

Not sure what you mean in the first question, but I guess it's doing some forwarding since I'm able to access the internet whilst behind it.

My router is a Netgear RP614. (I've been meaning to setup a linux router, but since I've only got a few months left at home until university, plus the machine I was planning on using is terribly slow, I figured I wouldn't bother).

#4 2006-06-29 01:29:16

elasticdog
Website

tomfitzyuk wrote:

My router is a Netgear RP614. (I've been meaning to setup a linux router, but since I've only got a few months left at home until university, plus the machine I was planning on using is terribly slow, I figured I wouldn't bother).

Hardware for a router doesn't have to be spectacular by any means...my modified Linksys WRT54GS is basically just a 200MHz processor with 32MB RAM and 8MB of flash storage with some networking equipment attached to it (which I'm sure is similar to your Netgear).  If you want to set up a dedicated Linux machine to do the routing to learn about the whole process, I've read that even an old 486 will do the job just fine...you just need to have a machine with two NICs connected to it.

As far as your port forwarding/triggering deal, either way, both machines should be able to connect to the internet without problems.  The configuration doesn't matter for you seeing out, but will make a difference for others seeing in to your network.  You'd want port forwarding if you actually want to run a web server that will be publically available, but the down side is that you can only run a server on one of those machines (assuming you're wanting to run on port 80).  You don't want port triggering for a server because it relies on the machine making an outgoing connection before it can receive any incoming ones.  If you'd like to run a web server on both machines, just change the port one of them listens on to something else standard for web traffic, like port 8080.  Hope that helps...

Board footer