You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-06 01:55:01

Crow_the_Timekeeper
Member
Registered: 2014-07-20
Posts: 9

Polkit Authentication Agents not starting whilst using lightdm

I'm using openbox so I have to start them manually if I want to use them in applications, but they're not starting as long as I'm using lightdm. If I disable the lightdm service, reboot, and use startx to get into my session, then I can start the polkit authentication agent. If I just stop the lightdm service and do startx, I still can't start them.

/usr/lib/polkit-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1
outputs

** (polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:6708): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-HEroHgJOHO: Connection refused

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:6708): polkit-gnome-1-WARNING **: Unable to determine the session we are in: No session for pid 6708

Most agents output the same thing. Xfce-polkit, however, causes a dialog box to popup with the title "Error" and contents "XFCE4 PolicyKit Agent", with terminal output:

/usr/lib/xfce-polkit/xfce-polkit 

** (xfce-polkit:9466): CRITICAL **: polkit_agent_listener_register_with_options: assertion 'POLKIT_IS_SUBJECT (subject)' failed

(xfce-polkit:9466): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

I have one other user on the same system that uses xfce4 btw (which is why I use lightdm).

Please help.

Offline

#2 2017-10-06 07:51:24

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,144

Re: Polkit Authentication Agents not starting whilst using lightdm

If you're after a lightweight DM, I'd suggest xdm (can look quite pretty as well, there's an AUR package with a theme)

On topic:

ps aux | grep dbus

Online

#3 2017-10-06 19:30:45

Crow_the_Timekeeper
Member
Registered: 2014-07-20
Posts: 9

Re: Polkit Authentication Agents not starting whilst using lightdm

Xdm doesn't look too nice, and I like to have user selection, which I'm guessing it doesn't have? One just types their username and password? My dad might get confused by that.

Here's the output for what you asked.

ps aux | grep dbus
dbus       325  0.0  0.0  40192  4884 ?        Ss   00:10   0:05 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system --address=systemd: --nofork --nopidfile --systemd-activation
family     871  0.0  0.0  39132  4044 ?        Ss   09:16   0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --session --address=systemd: --nofork --nopidfile --systemd-activation
cypress   1881  0.0  0.0  38988  3892 ?        Ss   12:20   0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --session --address=systemd: --nofork --nopidfile --systemd-activation
cypress   7604  0.0  0.0  10884  2320 pts/0    S+   15:27   0:00 grep dbus

Offline

#4 2017-10-06 19:55:21

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,144

Re: Polkit Authentication Agents not starting whilst using lightdm

No combobox for user selection, no.

Output is dead end (I had hoped for dbus-launch)
Compare the outputs of "loginctl session-status" in working and non-working environments to see whether there's a working session at all.
Also post the output of "printenv | grep XDG"

Online

#5 2017-10-06 21:22:28

Crow_the_Timekeeper
Member
Registered: 2014-07-20
Posts: 9

Re: Polkit Authentication Agents not starting whilst using lightdm

Looks like it's running for the other account. So only one can be running at a time??

loginctl session-status
c4 - cypress (1000)
           Since: Fri 2017-10-06 12:20:40 EDT; 4h 51min ago
          Leader: 1855 (lightdm)
            Seat: seat0; vc8
         Display: :1
         Service: lightdm; type x11; class user
         Desktop: openbox
           State: active
            Unit: session-c4.scope
                  ├─1855 lightdm --session-child 14 25
                  ├─1875 /usr/bin/openbox --startup /usr/lib/openbox/openbox-aut
                  ├─1892 tint2
                  ├─1895 compton -b -c -C --shadow-exclude class_g = "Dmenu" --f
                  ├─1897 light-locker
                  ├─1966 /bin/bash
                  ├─1969 /opt/discord/Discord
                  ├─1971 /opt/discord/Discord --type=zygote --no-sandbox
                  ├─1997 /opt/discord/Discord --type=gpu-process --no-sandbox --
                  ├─2026 /opt/discord/Discord --type=renderer --no-sandbox --pri
                  ├─2299 /bin/bash
                  ├─2302 mate-power-manager
                  ├─2483 xfce4-power-manager
                  ├─5588 /bin/basht
loginctl session-status
c2 - family (1001)
           Since: Fri 2017-10-06 09:16:19 EDT; 7h ago
          Leader: 844 (lightdm)
            Seat: seat0; vc7
         Display: :0
         Service: lightdm; type x11; class user
         Desktop: xfce
           State: active
            Unit: session-c2.scope
                  ├─ 844 lightdm --session-child 13 22
                  ├─ 862 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize --login
                  ├─ 865 /bin/sh /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc -- /etc/X11/xinit/xserve
                  ├─ 880 xfce4-session
                  ├─ 890 xfwm4
                  ├─ 894 xfce4-panel
                  ├─ 896 Thunar --daemon
                  ├─ 898 xfdesktop
                  ├─ 899 pa-applet
                  ├─ 900 xfsettingsd
                  ├─ 902 xfce4-power-manager
                  ├─ 905 nm-applet
                  ├─ 922 /usr/lib/xfce-polkit/xfce-polkit
                  ├─ 932 /usr/bin/python3 /usr/share/system-config-printer/apple

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB