You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-05 04:27:36

VKen

[SOLVED] macbook pro can't boot after upgrading kernel linux-4.13.3-1

Hi All,

I've waited a while to see whether there are other users who experience the same problem as me will post here.
Seems like i'm a minority, until I saw another unrelated post which describes the problem wrongly but showing the same screenshot as mine.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=230407

And it turns out we have the same problem.

Problem:
I'm running macbookpro retina, x86_64, dual booting with MacOSX and Arch with rEFInd.
After upgrading kernel to linux-4.13.3-1 via pacman, i did a restart and was met with this screen:

https://i.imgur.com/6gbIUSQ.jpg

I thought my SSD died, but no, I can still boot into MacOSX fine.
I tried running the fallback kernel to no avail.
After much wrangling, i managed to boot a liveusb, chroot, and downgraded the kernel back to inux-4.12.

Notice in the screenshot, after the udev hook, the SSD is not even recognized by "UUID". When my boot failed, there is an emergency command prompt, which i tried to access my disk via `/dev/disk/` but the following `/dev/disk/by-uuid` is missing.
There are only two options of `by-id` and `by-path`, none of which is useful. Looks like the SSD isn't even mounted.

Needless to say, after downgrading the kernel and booting up, the `journalctl -ke` can't even capture the `dmesg` output that was run during the emergency prompt because log files can't be written.

This is my primary working laptop, so i can't toy with kernel errors too much, therefore i haven't ran too many test to track the issue.
If anyone needs more information, and photos, i can try again when time permits.

Thanks!

Edit:

As noted in https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/55789#comment162161
The release of 4.13.5-1-ARCH works now. No workaround needed anymore.

Last edited by VKen (2017-10-13 14:24:04)

#2 2017-10-05 04:42:44

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] macbook pro can't boot after upgrading kernel linux-4.13.3-1

Read the Code of Conduct and only post thumbnails http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cod … s_and_code

Moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2017-10-05 07:25:26

loqs

#4 2017-10-06 10:15:08

VKen

Thanks, loqs, you're a lifesaver! This is most helpful than any other hardly-relevant reply i got.
I did some research, people describe to put boot options with either "intel_iommu=off" or "intel_iommu=igfx_off".

The one that works is "intel_iommu=off".

Took me a while to figure out where to override the boot option because i was using rEFInd bootloader.
I need to add `refind_linux.conf` in arch partition's

/boot/refind_linux.conf

I will need to go to the previous live arch system to get the boot options from output of:

dmesg | grep 'Command line'

which looks something like this:

[    0.000000] Command line: \boot\vmlinuz-linux \boot\vmlinuz-linux ro root=UUID=xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxx initrd=boot\initramfs-linux.img 

Append this info with `intel_iommu=off` to `/boot/refind_linux.conf` (for my case to override rEFInd boot options) or the grub's config, whichever the boot loader config file is.

"Default with iommu_off"    "\boot\vmlinuz-linux ro root=UUID=xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxx initrd=boot\initramfs-linux.img intel_iommu=off"

Voila! Boots without visible issues yet.

Last edited by VKen (2017-10-06 10:16:12)

#5 2017-10-06 10:17:40

Slithery
Administrator

VKen wrote:

I will need to go to the previous live arch system to get the boot options from output of:

dmesg | grep 'Command line'

which looks something like this:

[    0.000000] Command line: \boot\vmlinuz-linux \boot\vmlinuz-linux ro root=UUID=xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxx initrd=boot\initramfs-linux.img 

Even better...

cat /proc/cmdline

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#6 2017-10-06 23:06:16

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

VKen wrote:

Thanks, loqs, you're a lifesaver! This is most helpful than any other hardly-relevant reply i got.

Considering there was only one other reply in the thread, I think you need to read up on the code of conduct, in particular section 2.1 and 2.1.3.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#7 2017-10-07 08:37:21

seth

Not sure, but given the wonky English of that sentence (which barely makes any sense in any regard at all) this could just have been a clumsy attempt to express his desperation and thankfulness, rather than criticizing a mod doing his job.

Board footer