You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-06 15:40:59

calef13
Member
Registered: 2007-06-10
Posts: 142

Powerline fonts broken in xfce4-terminal

Hi,

I installed oh-my-zsh and the patched powerline fonts. I did this manually, using the install instructions on the GitHub page. After I did this, I had an issue and decided to install oh-my-zsh via the AUR instead since this is easier to maintain. However, now the powerline fonts are broken. I get the ??? character in the prompt. This even is the case with other characters, such as certain accented characters from Portuguese and Spanish. I've tried installing all the patched powerline fonts I could think of, but still the issue persists. I'm at a loss for how to continue debugging this issue. Can anyone offer a hint of how I can figure out what is wrong? I'm using xfce4-terminal, which is broken. However, in intellij, the terminal displays the fonts correctly.

Offline

#2 2017-10-06 19:24:57

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,148

Offline

#3 2017-10-09 08:51:26

calef13
Member
Registered: 2007-06-10
Posts: 142

Re: Powerline fonts broken in xfce4-terminal

I tried installing that and it's still broken unfortunately. I already had powerline-fonts installed from community, and the description of that package claims it is the patched fonts. Any more ideas? It's strange that the fonts work just fine in android-studio/intellij.

Last edited by calef13 (2017-10-09 08:51:51)

Offline

#4 2017-10-09 09:03:38

calef13
Member
Registered: 2007-06-10
Posts: 142

Re: Powerline fonts broken in xfce4-terminal

Following this guide, the fonts seem to be in the right place, but the glyphs still don't display properly in xfce4-terminal after restarting my computer. The files

/usr/share/fonts/OTF/PowerlineSymbols.otf
/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-powerline-symbols.conf
/etc/fonts/conf.avail/10-powerline-symbols.conf

are all present.

Offline

#5 2017-10-09 14:42:01

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,148

Re: Powerline fonts broken in xfce4-terminal

Either some fontconfig issue (depending on the used Java version) or OMZ.
Try your font(s) by using bash as shell in xfce4-terminal

Offline

#6 2017-10-10 09:59:00

calef13
Member
Registered: 2007-06-10
Posts: 142

Re: Powerline fonts broken in xfce4-terminal

I'm using jdk8. I switched to a bash shell in xfce4-terminal, and the powerline fonts are recognized and usable. So, I was wrong to blame xfce4-terminal; It seems to be an issue with OMZ in particular. Any ideas on how I can debug that further?  I've installed ST and OMZ works fine in it. It seems to only be with xfce4-terminal and OMZ.

Offline

#7 2017-10-10 11:55:27

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,148

Re: Powerline fonts broken in xfce4-terminal

Compare $TERM values of both VTEs, but the cause is that OMZ is a mess.

Offline

#8 2017-10-11 10:27:59

calef13
Member
Registered: 2007-06-10
Posts: 142

Re: Powerline fonts broken in xfce4-terminal

xfce4-terminal has $TERM=xterm-256color and st has $TERM=st-256color. Are there better ways of getting status lines than by using OMZ?

Offline

#9 2017-10-11 10:40:49

Slithery
Administrator
From: Norfolk, UK
Registered: 2013-12-01
Posts: 5,776

Re: Powerline fonts broken in xfce4-terminal

calef13 wrote:

xfce4-terminal has $TERM=xterm-256color and st has $TERM=st-256color. Are there better ways of getting status lines than by using OMZ?

There are better ways of doing everything than the clusterf**k of code that is OMZ.

In the case of powerline just install and configure it yourself...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Powerline


No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB