You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-09 14:28:50

r0b0t

Post your handy one-liner commands [Please dustbin]

Didn't think how sh**** this was until now (due to poor contribution by the rest), please dustbin this.

Last edited by r0b0t (2017-10-12 09:55:11)

#2 2017-10-09 14:39:46

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Post your handy one-liner commands [Please dustbin]

I don't know how "handy" most of those are as they are essentially just an example of how to use a tool on par with examples already provided in those tool's man pages.  Perhaps the database example is an exception, as reading the manual would provide a much better way of doing the same thing.

As for being a "one-liner" some of those are quite long and include pipes and even semicolons.  Allowing for these any and every set of shell commands could be a one-liner.

Last edited by Trilby (2017-10-09 14:42:29)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2017-10-09 14:50:01

r0b0t

Re: Post your handy one-liner commands [Please dustbin]

The way I see it it's a lazy-friendly approach.. Yes, every one of those you can make it by reading the tools manual (most of them are not so commonly used) and the same is valid also for the scripts posted on the other thread btw. But most of the time I find that useful as you don't have to remember everything, you can just look for what you have to do and search the command.
With all the tools out there I'd exclude someone knowing by heart each and every specific way of using that tool, well, except if it's something you daily work with, but you cannot work daily with all the tools, so in that case some commands can be saved for later use.

Board footer