You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-07 08:42:51

Panadestein
Member
From: Lille, France
Registered: 2017-04-08
Posts: 51

GDM and Gnome completely unresponsive

Hello community.

New computer, new issues. I got an HP Zbook Studio G3 and I installed Arch as far as I could. I read the wiki article about this laptop, and also how to setup the Nvidia Optimus technology with the Nvidia driver, I followed carefully the steps. My system was working perfectly, I loved!

Yesterday two things happened: update of xorg and Gnome (y use GDM and Gnome with Xorg because is recommended to use optimus) and a manual stop of pulseaudio that I performed (pulseaudio -k). Now my system is completely unresponsive, extremely slow, the mause freeze on the screen and it takes ages to enter to Gnome, which behaves in the same way. What can be happening here? I appreciate any kind of help.


python -c 'import this' | awk 'NR == 5'

Offline

#2 2017-10-09 07:37:41

edskeye
Member
Registered: 2017-10-09
Posts: 4

Re: GDM and Gnome completely unresponsive

Have you tried disabling Wayland? It could skip to default after updating to 3.26.
Got the same problem and that's what solved it.

Go to 

/etc/gdm/custom.conf

and uncomment this line

WaylandEnable=false

Last edited by edskeye (2017-10-09 07:38:59)

Offline

#3 2017-10-10 07:39:23

eyefox
Member
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 8

Re: GDM and Gnome completely unresponsive

Hey there ^_^

I ran into what sounds like the same issue after upgrading Gnome. I'm also running Arch on a laptop with Nvidia Optimus and use the Nvidia driver. I was able to get Gnome functional again by disabling the PRIME synchronization (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NV … oken_VSync). I don't know if there's a way to work around that issue. Hope that helps!

Offline

#4 2017-10-10 20:43:08

hrkristian
Member
Registered: 2013-06-28
Posts: 34

Re: GDM and Gnome completely unresponsive

I have the exact same issue with PRIME enabled on an Optimus laptop, and like eyefox I've just switched back to Nvidia only for now.

I'd suggest, Panadestein, either going with just the Nvidia card or if you can on your laptop (I don't seem to be able to on mine), go pure Intel if battery life is a concern.

Last edited by hrkristian (2017-10-10 20:43:42)

Offline

#5 2017-10-11 05:38:11

hfenigma
Member
Registered: 2017-06-29
Posts: 32

Re: GDM and Gnome completely unresponsive

Similar issue for me with NVIDIA Optimus and i3wm.
After the Oct 7th's GTK+ update, lightdm gtk greeter and xfce4-terminal GUI were almost unresponsive, react super slowly to mouse or keyboard input. (I didn't test other apps)
Removing nvidia-drm.modeset=1 from kernel parameters solves the problem.
I don't know if this is the same bug that causes Gnome crashing.

Offline

#6 2017-12-31 19:11:06

rodstu
Member
Registered: 2017-06-06
Posts: 10

Re: GDM and Gnome completely unresponsive

edskeye wrote:

Have you tried disabling Wayland? It could skip to default after updating to 3.26.
Got the same problem and that's what solved it.

Go to 

/etc/gdm/custom.conf

and uncomment this line

WaylandEnable=false

This works for me, Thanks!

Offline

#7 2017-12-31 20:12:03

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 30,426
Website

Re: GDM and Gnome completely unresponsive


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB