You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-11 04:40:01

Develon

Unchangable xorg root window

Hello. I'm having an issue with a couple of programs that I'm trying to use. Using xsetbg, I can set a wallpaper for my desktop. However, nautilus-desktop and kwin's compositor causes the wallpaper to disappear. (If both of these programs are not started on login, the wallpaper will show.) I tried using xwininfo before and after on the "desktop" to see if the root window changes or something, but they both return this:

xwininfo: Window id: 0x4b4 (the root window) (has no name)

Absolute upper-left X:  0
  Absolute upper-left Y:  0
  Relative upper-left X:  0
  Relative upper-left Y:  0
  Width: 1680
  Height: 1050
  Depth: 24
  Visual: 0x21
  Visual Class: TrueColor
  Border width: 0
  Class: InputOutput
  Colormap: 0x20 (not installed)
  Bit Gravity State: ForgetGravity
  Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Backing Store State: NotUseful
  Save Under State: no
  Map State: IsViewable
  Override Redirect State: no
  Corners:  +0+0  -0+0  -0-0  +0-0
  -geometry 1680x1050+0+0

I'm all out of ideas now on how to fix this. With only Kwin running, I can disable the compositor with alt+shift+f12 and get the wallpaper back, but I need compositing of course. I've also tried using dconf-editor to turn off "show desktop files" for nautilus and going though systemsettings5 to find a wallpaper setting. Nothing works so far.. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

#2 2017-10-11 08:56:44

seth

Re: Unchangable xorg root window

Applications like nautilus-desktop create fullscren _NET_WM_DESKTOP type windows that window manager will keel below everything, ie. the root window is neither changed nor locked - you just won't see it anymore.

The compositors instead create a full screen overlay (output only, it doesn't get any input) window where they preform their compositing in.
They take a "regular" window (like provided by nautilus-desktop) into consideration, but not the root window.
Some compositors also allow you to define a background image which they will then directly paint into the overlay window.

The root window image isn't supported by compositors because those came with fancy DEs and the DEs have virtually ever provided desktop windows.

#3 2017-10-11 09:20:51

Develon

Thanks for the reply. c: Nice to know how things work. Is there a way to do such a thing with Kwin+Nautilus? I'm not sure how to set the background like that. I'm running my own combination of things instead of a traditional DE. I'll probably look into it tomorrow. I'm pretty tired. :3

#4 2017-10-11 09:25:53

seth

There's probably a GUI interface in nautilus and the actual wallpaper will probably be stored as dconf entry - but "probably" implies that I actually don't know ;-)

#5 2017-10-11 10:20:50

Develon

There is xP. But setting it through dconf doesn't actually change anything. :3

Board footer