You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-12 03:36:42

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Backups when changing directory structure

I've got 12 months of backups (rsnapshot with daily, weekly, monthly) created via rsync from my laptop.

On a new laptop I want to move things over but change the directory structure. Almost everything in the current laptop is in a /home/data folder, I'd like to move folders there piecemeal to ~/ (some may or may not get renamed since I'd like to do this once and for all).

The first backup after I move things over will basically create duplicates of everything, which doesn't sound like a great idea as it will take 12 months for things to clear up.

The alternative of nuking my backups isn't a great idea either.

Is it possible to mirror my changing directory structure in the rsnapshot directory? Should I even bother?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer