You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-11 12:55:09

sakishrist

Desktop and android applications for taking notes (that sync)

Hello all!

TL;DR: I am looking for an application for linux that is for taking notes (like zim desktop wiki) that has an equivalent for android so that notes can be synced and edited on the two devices.

Up until now I've been using zim for it's simplicity, yet for it's stability and reliability as well. The thing though is that there doesn't seem to be an app that will visualize the notes the same way in android. I can edit the notes as plain text, but it's rather inconvenient.

So I'm currently looking for some other application that has similar features but also has an equivalent on android.

In the pest case scenario am looking for apps that work in wysiwyg mode and read the same file formats on android and linux. For instance, a good format would be markdown, since it's rather popular, but the thing is that I can't seem to find wysiwyg-type applications for it. All apps I've found let you edit the source instead.

Any ideas for something like that?

Thanks in advance,
Sakis
-                                                                       -

Candidates for Linux:
  • Typora - 90% happy with this
    Has a file outline, supports pictures, is wyziwyg-ish. It even handles task lists.

• QOwnNotes
    Notes are hierarchically sorted. The editor has some sort of visualization of what you might expect the text to appear, but it basically has a separate visualization of the final markdown.

Candidates for Android:
  • MarkdownX
    I am not very convinced about this one, but it comes close to the ease of use I am looking for. It has a file outline still not wyziwyg, but the fact that it opens the notes in preview mode and switching between the modes is just swiping, I'm willing to give it a try. It does not handle task lists though.

Any other suggestions are still welcome big_smile

Last edited by sakishrist (2017-10-12 07:46:28)

#2 2017-10-11 16:49:15

imdn

Re: Desktop and android applications for taking notes (that sync)

Give http://www.qownnotes.org/ a go. It's on AUR and has a 3rd party Android client (haven't used it). It's not WYSIWYG, though there's a markdown preview pane. Sync will need to be done via a separate client such as Dropbox

#3 2017-10-12 07:38:41

sakishrist

Hi

QOwnNotes also comes close to what I would like, even though it's not exactly wysiwyg. The client that's for android (that they suggest on their site), is MyOwnNotes, which AFAIK does not parse markdown. Still, QOwnNotes with some other android app and sync through OwnCloud would do the trick I guess.

Thanks

#4 2017-10-12 09:41:50

progandy

I think laverna is a nice project if you like electron based applications. Sadly the android app is not ready yet. https://laverna.cc/

Last edited by progandy (2017-10-12 09:44:46)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#5 2018-03-27 18:25:54

msel

Another alternative is Joplin.
https://github.com/laurent22/joplin
It can be used many environments, has a linux and an android client and has different synchronisation alternatives.

Board footer