You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-14 10:02:55

bade

Problems with GNOME (possible installation of KDE)

Hi,

I've recently installed Arch Linux with GNOME 3. I'm mostly pleased with how it works, but I've noticed it sometimes gets really slow. I'm not sure if it's Arch's or GNOME's fault.
For example, it takes too long to open gedit (4-5 sec) or Popcorn Time (30 sec). I also had the problems with copying the files from/to USB drives (sometimes I get an error and sometimes it just hangs).
Last night I tried to copy folder with pictures from my Android phone. It showed like it started copying, but never got anywhere. Also, when I opened that folder, the Nautilus was showing "wait circle" spinning but never showed even the part of the pictures, let alone their thumbnails.
Maybe it's not only the GNOME's fault because I tried "du -sh" on that folder and waited for ~3 mins. Nothing showed up. I know phones can be slow, but this much?
I have GNOME 3.24 version, but with some packages in 3.26 because I didn't install full gnome package ("pacman -Q gnome" even says I don't have that package).

I was thinking switching to KDE Plasma to see if problems persist, but don't want to lose all GNOME configurations. Is it safe for those two to coexist?

#2 2017-10-14 11:31:35

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: Problems with GNOME (possible installation of KDE)

I have GNOME 3.24 version, but with some packages in 3.26 because I didn't install full gnome package

What does this mean? The version of gnome in the repos is at 3.26.1, but some gnome applications are at older versions (I don't use gnome, so I have no idea why this is). It sounds like you have done partial updates, which may be the cause of your less than stellar experience. Do a full system upgrade and see if that fixes things. If not, run an affected application from the terminal and see if there are any hints as to why it is taking so long to launch. Your journal may have clues too.

Gnome and plasma should be able to co-exist. Pacman will tell you if there are any conflicts.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer