You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-25 15:11:38

pfdint

Kdenlive crashes on render webm avstream.codec

I see a lot of people talking about this across the web, but I don't see anyone solving it. Or at least, nothing that's worked for me.

Kdenlive goes to render a webm.
It reports a crash in rendering immediately:

Using AVStream.codec to pass codec parameters to muxers is deprecated, use AVStream.codecpar instead

Sounds like a warning, not an error. Why fail? Is there a --force flag of some sort I can pass? Is this an ffmpeg bug or a kdenlive bug (where to complain)?

Full errors:

[webm @ 0x7f152400b8c0] Using AVStream.codec to pass codec parameters to muxers is deprecated, use AVStream.codecpar instead. [webm @ 0x7f152400b8c0] Using AVStream.codec to pass codec parameters to muxers is deprecated, use AVStream.codecpar instead.

Additional info:
webm rendering worked fine before pacman -Syu update & restart.
After restart, rendering crashed with error about missing libmovit.7.so, I installed movit and that message went away.
No other messages or information is available. If it's not that message that's relevant, it's just crashing and I don't know how to investigate.

Last edited by pfdint (2017-10-25 15:22:54)

#2 2017-10-25 17:50:36

adomol

Re: Kdenlive crashes on render webm avstream.codec

It is probably the ffmpeg update that is causing this issue. I would try downgrading that package to see if it helps. Then I would wait for the problem to be sorted out before upgrading.

sudo pacman -U '/var/cache/pacman/pkg/ffmpeg-1:3.3.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz'

Last edited by adomol (2017-10-25 17:54:50)

#3 2017-12-29 23:28:52

ntninja

I just had this problem so in case somebody else hits this: The crash is in the `melt` binary spawned by `kdenlive`, in particular it's inside `libavcodec`'s `vorbis_encode_frame` function.
… Apparently they did some optimizing on the built-in audio-encoder hmm

So as a work-around you can ask kdenlive to ask melt to use the (slower) `libvorbis` instead of ffmpeg's internal `vorbis` encoder by:

1. Selecting WebM - the widespread free format (VP8/Vorbis) from kdenlive's render dialog

2. Clicking on the Create new profile icon just above the list of available formats (use the tooltips if you don't know which is which…)

3. Enter a profile name (such as WebM Custom) in the new dialog (if you forget this it silently won't safe your settings!)

4. Replace acodec=vorbis with acodec=libvorbis in the parameter list text area*

5. Click OK

6. Select the newly create profile from the list of available formats and start rendering

* The parameter list should be:

f=webm vcodec=libvpx acodec=libvorbis crf=%quality vb=0 quality=good aq=%audioquality max-intra-rate=1000

#4 2018-01-10 03:48:18

Kale Good

[Partially SOLVED] for me. Kdenlive was crashing on any file action (add clip, open saved file, etc). I replaced mlt with mlt-git. Now it crashes when attempting to render...

adomol wrote:

It is probably the ffmpeg update that is causing this issue. I would try downgrading that package to see if it helps. Then I would wait for the problem to be sorted out before upgrading.

sudo pacman -U '/var/cache/pacman/pkg/ffmpeg-1:3.3.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz'

I suspected a similar thing after consulting with Lord Google. This is my first downgrade, and it's not going well. I'm getting

warning: cannot resolve "libx265.so=130-64", a dependency of "ffmpeg"
:: The following package cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
      ffmpeg

and

sudo pacman -U '/var/cache/pacman/pkg/ffmpeg-1:3.3.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' '/var/cache/pacman/pkg/x265-2.5-1-

seems to put me into my first dependency-hell spiral. That fails because of ffmpeg2.8, which vlc (and nothing else) needs. Can't take out vlc because that's needed by.... etc etc.
(but, hey, that's what I get for messing with the rolling release)

So I'm not sure how to handle the downgrade from here. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Kale Good (2018-01-10 13:01:49)

#5 2018-01-16 00:34:28

tonysharp

ntninja wrote:

I just had this problem so in case somebody else hits this: The crash is in the `melt` binary spawned by `kdenlive`, in particular it's inside `libavcodec`'s `vorbis_encode_frame` function.
… Apparently they did some optimizing on the built-in audio-encoder hmm

So as a work-around you can ask kdenlive to ask melt to use the (slower) `libvorbis` instead of ffmpeg's internal `vorbis` encoder by:

1. Selecting WebM - the widespread free format (VP8/Vorbis) from kdenlive's render dialog

2. Clicking on the Create new profile icon just above the list of available formats (use the tooltips if you don't know which is which…)

3. Enter a profile name (such as WebM Custom) in the new dialog (if you forget this it silently won't safe your settings!)

4. Replace acodec=vorbis with acodec=libvorbis in the parameter list text area*

5. Click OK

6. Select the newly create profile from the list of available formats and start rendering

* The parameter list should be:

f=webm vcodec=libvpx acodec=libvorbis crf=%quality vb=0 quality=good aq=%audioquality max-intra-rate=1000

Thank you for posting this solution. I had the same problem, and this solved it.

#6 2018-01-19 02:49:24

Kale Good

Any chance this could cause issues with opening a file? I'm segfaulting when opening a file (both opening a project file and/or attempting to add a clip) and can't for the life of me figure out why. Maybe it's trying to create thumb nails?

Board footer