You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-09 18:48:44

lmat

Bluray, VLC, Linux

I'm having trouble playing blurays using VLC. I get the same error with Pan and Oz the Great and Powerful. I am able to play Bambi and How to Train a Dragon. The error is:

Blu-ray error:
No valid processing key found in AACS config file.

I downloaded KEYDB.cfg today anew to no avail. I'm a little foggy on all the different keys, but I think the processing keys are the keys that various Sony-licensed bluray players have assigned to them by Sony. I ran

BD_DEBUG_MASK=99999999 vlc oz.iso  2>&1 | less

Which chronicled the various processing keys it tried along with various of what it calls "cvalues", and a constant "Verification data". I'm guessing it's looking for a combination of processing key and CValue that yields the expected Verification Data, but couldn't find anything.

What should I do next? How can I debug? I'm assuming that someone is watching blurays with Linux since the code for this stuff seems to be active. It worked a while back with a few blurays; is KEYDB.cfg behind on processing keys? Do I need to go down some dark alley to get a recent processing key?

#2 2017-10-26 00:20:40

frumble
Website

Re: Bluray, VLC, Linux

Maybe the disc uses the additional BD+ protection?
I have no experience with this deaacs libs, but I strongly recommend you to use MakeMKV to watch BDs on Linux. The software does support newest AACS versions as well as BD+ and has a webserver mode in which you can directly stream tracks through MakeMKV’s decryptor into VLC etc. I have seen even a GUI-less variant of this functionally. Flip side: You might have to pay for MakeMKV to unlock the BD features without timeout but it’s absolutely worth it.

#3 2017-10-26 03:17:57

headkase

As frumble said, get this package from the AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/makemkv-libaacs/

It will integrate Blu-ray support into VLC.  I've used it and it works for most discs.  Most, it will open all the ones I tried but a very few of them wouldn't play right (corrupted graphics on screen) but most of them do.  And this was a good while ago now too so the ones that didn't work right then might be fixed now.

#4 2017-10-26 12:02:12

frumble
Website

In doubt, use the GUI. I’m using MakeMKV since 2011 and haven’t stumbled upon a BD that it couldn’t open. The GUI might be necessary because some discs have multiple main features etc. pp. If it does not play via streaming, you have to rip it first (with harder copy protections like BD+). Better use Kodi for playing, it can decode full lossless DTS-HD Master Audio + Dolby TrueHD whereas VLC only plays the DTS core and TrueHD, but I have no experience with streaming into Kodi. Another bonus from MakeMKV: It can losslessly transcode DTS-HD MA/TrueHD into FLAC when ripping (edit the according XML file for maximum compression).

Last edited by frumble (2017-10-26 12:11:19)

Board footer