You are not logged in.
Hi all,
I've been looking for a while for a reliable timer or alarm clock application. Basically, I'd like something that can pop a window/notification dialog and play a sound at specified date & time. I've tried alarm-clock but it's an incredibly buggy and unreliable application that has lost me 2 alarms so far.
Anyone know of something that works well? I'm using Cinnamon if it matters...
Thanks so much!
Last edited by Batou (2017-10-24 21:09:19)
Please vote for all the AUR packages you're using. You can mass-vote for all of them by doing: "pacman -Qqm | xargs aurvote -v" (make sure to run "aurvote --configure" first)
Offline
Hi
Maybe not fully what you want but I have a shell function added in my ~/.bashrc which allows me to run "teatimer <countdown-time-with-unit>" e.g.
$ teatimer 5mwhich then plays a song after countdown reached and pop up a notify window. Add the text below to your .bashrc and reload it by
$ source ~/.bashrc:teatimer() {
sleep $1;
mplayer "$HOME/music/<sound-to-play.mp3>" & notify-send '!! Coffee Time - wake up !!';
exit
}
Offline
emak, neat! I still need something that has a way to list/edit all the timers/alarms and set them based on date and time together. But your solution is perfect as a quick timer! I'll use it for that. Thank you!
Please vote for all the AUR packages you're using. You can mass-vote for all of them by doing: "pacman -Qqm | xargs aurvote -v" (make sure to run "aurvote --configure" first)
Offline
systemd timers can play alerts based on a variety of datetime descriptions, and listed with systemctl. Although it isn't a GUI, I think it works pretty well. ![]()
Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)
Offline
And there's always atd and crond.
systemd timers feel clumsy for on-the-fly jobs. You've to generate two files, reload the entire user systemd and cleanup files afterwards. (I've not researched ways to improve this, though - maybe this can be done better)
Offline
Not as clumsy as all that, you can have a single standard alarm.service that is started by on-the-fly timers (which can be created in /run/systemd/system/ if you so desire, as that is transient and cleaned up on reboot anyway).
Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)
Offline
You can just let systemd create the required units for transient timers by using the systemd-run command.
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/sy … d-run.html
These will be gone after reboot or when they are done (e.g. when not repeating).
Offline
Systemd is an overkill and a huge inconvenience to me for this usage. I do use it for one of the scripts I wrote (to monitor and record mem usage of a process) since crond is now "obsolete" but this is not what I'm after.
I want something that I can input quickly and get a reminder... like a Pomodoro timer.
Please vote for all the AUR packages you're using. You can mass-vote for all of them by doing: "pacman -Qqm | xargs aurvote -v" (make sure to run "aurvote --configure" first)
Offline
echo 'notify-send "Remember" "...the milk"' | at midnightOffline
One of my projects, PyTimer: https://github.com/mdoege/PyTimer You can use it both as a timer and an alarm clock. It has not failed me so far. ![]()
Offline
Long time ago I wrote a bash only timer/alarm script "AL" using the at and Xdialog packages.
#!/bin/bash
#
# Issue an alarm using at and xmessage
# Usage:
# AL [@] delay [message timeout]]
# where @ denotes absolute time
# If not absolute time:
# delay is in minutes
# timeout is in seconds
#
# Defaults to 5 minutes delay: "ALARM"
# Message defaults to "ALARM"
PREFIX="now + "
SUFFIX=" minutes"
DELAY=15
MSG='ALARM'
TO=60
# Which display to use:
MYDSP=':0'
if [ "$1" == "-h" ] || [ "$1" == "--help" ]
then
echo "AL - Issue an alarm"
echo " AL [delay (in minutes) [message [timeout (in seconds)]]]"
echo " or"
echo " AL @ time [message [timeout (in seconds)]]"
echo " defaults: delay=15 message=\"ALARM\" timeout=60"
exit
fi
if [ "$1" == "@" ]
then
PREFIX=""
SUFFIX=""
shift
fi
if [ "$1"x != "x" ]
then
DELAY=$1
if [ "$2"x != "x" ]
then
MSG="$2"
if [ "$3"x != "x" ]
then
TO=$3
fi
fi
fi
# Xdialog Version
echo "BELL;DISPLAY=$MYDSP Xdialog --timeout $TO --msgbox "\"$MSG\"" 0 0" | at $PREFIX$DELAY$SUFFIX
# xmessage version
# echo "BELL;DISPLAY=$MYDSP xmessage -button OK -default OK -timeout $TO ""$MSG""" | at $PREFIX$DELAY$SUFFIX
if [ "$PREFIX"x != "x" ]
then
echo "Alarm \""$MSG"\" in $PREFIX$DELAY$SUFFIX using timeout $TO seconds"
else
echo "Alarm \""$MSG"\" at $DELAY using timeout $TO seconds"
fiThe BELL is a simple script to play some sound:
#!/bin/bash
# Sound a bell
( play /usr/share/sounds/au/beep_sound_02.au &> /dev/null ) & To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.
Offline