You are not logged in.

#26 2017-10-22 06:53:43

seth

Re: Intel i915 causing irrecoverable black screen (hybrid config)

my output of log says it's doing starting LXDE and graphical mode in Arch Linux but doesn't show this

Can you start into the multi-user.target? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … _boot_into
In any case, but especially if so, open a new thread and post a complete boot journal and your Xorg log.

#27 2017-10-22 18:31:10

uc_mvini

seth wrote:
my output of log says it's doing starting LXDE and graphical mode in Arch Linux but doesn't show this

Can you start into the multi-user.target? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … _boot_into
In any case, but especially if so, open a new thread and post a complete boot journal and your Xorg log.

Hello, seth.

I was making some things to solve this problem and with your help I make it! I was having a parser error in 10-evdev.conf in directory /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. So, when I execute the startx command, I found this error. Thanks so much for the help! I solved the hwclock problem too. I need more explain in the drm i915 problem. My graphical interface loads and shows up in my screen, but I'm having the same error before. I'll create other post for help if I don't solve this problem.

Cheers.

#28 2017-10-25 22:46:20

Issun

Hello,

I filed a bug report as advised a few days ago, and got a reply today.
I'm letting the report link here so that you can follow what's happening : https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103400

Best regards,

#29 2017-10-27 14:44:36

loqs

https://github.com/freedesktop/drm-tip/ … 034e.patch is the proposed fix applies cleanly to 4.13.10 and head.

#30 2017-10-27 22:48:54

cafe

Sweet,

I can confirm that this patch works. Typing this message from my MSI GS63.

#31 2017-10-28 08:42:30

mcku

I am having a similar problem on a very similar configuration. If you feel it's something else, I can post a new topic.

Asus ROG laptop with gtx 1050 and i915, that is optimus configuration. Using proprietary drivers.

The problem is, when i boot with bumblebeed.service enabled, graphical login does not get displayed.
However, when I boot with bumblebeed disabled, I can login fine. And after login, I can start bumblebeed through systemctl. And then all nvidia stuff works fine.

my grub config does not involve any other thing nomodeset et al. Using wayland and Gnome. Just

pcie_apsm=force

I am using it this way since kernel 4.12.13 I think. When Nvidia updated its drivers to 384.90.

This is good enough but it took me some time and research to reach this level of stability smile. If it is possible to reach a higher level, I would definitely like to get it. However I have tried your patch but it did not change anything for me. Was it supposed to help for a different scenario, such as for the nouveau driver?

#32 2017-10-28 12:34:24

cafe

It doesn't seems like it is the same issue. This looks like a hybrid graphics configuration issue to me. My advice would be for you to open a new thread informing your dmesg and Xorg logs.

The issue discussed in this thread was finally tracked down to eDP (Embedded DisplayPort) specs being incorrectly set, in particular DPCD (DisplayPort Configuration Data) registers with incorrect values, in violation to the eDP spec. I tried to find the eDP spec to download, but could not find it anywhere. Without it, I cannot tell what does those values of the DPCD spec table stands for.

Anyway, eDP protocol implies in change of data between the sink (display) and the host (PC). The first thing that happens when you connect a display through the displayPort connector is a hot-plug detection. The sink requests an interrupt. The host replies by reading DPCD regs and EDID to find out the resolution and refresh rate (among other things) of the monitor before it can start driving it with video data. With that information, the host will calculate the eDP data rate of up to 4 lanes (4 x 1.62Gbps) and will configure the interface.

My monitor is a 120Hz, full HD laptop-embedded LCD screen. Apparently, the chip driving this monitor is not informing correct values of DPCD to the intel driver (i915) and thus the black screen perceived at boot time. The patch from Jani Nikula, from intel, bypasses some of the eDP spec checks because of this buggy behavior.

I hope this clarifies the solution proposed in this thread.

Board footer