You are not logged in.
Pages: 1
Hi,
just creating my backup-strategy with borg backup.
Is it ok to exclude the whole ~/.cache directory, or is there important data included?
Regards
Michael
Last edited by DoXer (2017-10-29 05:40:05)
--
Regards
Michael
Offline
As the name already indicates it contains just cached data. Many backup tools already exclude things like cache, trash, etc. in their default configs.
Offline
Perfect,
borg has a parameter for this and I followed the instructions:
--exclude-caches exclude directories that contain a CACHEDIR.TAG file (http://www.brynosaurus.com/cachedir/spec.html)--
Regards
Michael
Offline
Borg really looks promising. I currently only use rsync or rsync based tools (rsnapshot) for backup. Maybe I should give borg I try.
Offline
I'm going to throw out my general rule (in hopes that someone smarter will correct me if I'm wrong!)...
On any computer device (desktop, phone...), if a file or folder has the word "cache" in it, then it can be safely erased at any time.
Offline
I'm going to throw out my general rule (in hopes that someone smarter will correct me if I'm wrong!)...
On any computer device (desktop, phone...), if a file or folder has the word "cache" in it, then it can be safely erased at any time.
That works as long as you don't have badly written software that stores important data in a cache directory ![]()
Also take care if it is a cache for online data you want to preserve for offline reading. Don't delete it when you have no internet access.
| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' | alias ENGLISH='LANG=C.UTF-8 ' |
Offline
sometimes you can fix some issues by just deleting all caches
Offline
I'm going to throw out my general rule (in hopes that someone smarter will correct me if I'm wrong!)...
On any computer device (desktop, phone...), if a file or folder has the word "cache" in it, then it can be safely erased at any time.
rmr /usr/bin/*cache*?
CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions
Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L
Offline
Borg really looks promising. I currently only use rsync or rsync based tools (rsnapshot) for backup. Maybe I should give borg I try.
Hi,
Have a look on my contribution on (french) Wiki
Thanks for any correction/addition or Official Wiki translation
Offline
I mount ~/.cache to tmpfs so it never makes writes to my SSD nor does it retain contents between boots.
From /etc/fstab
tmpfs /home/facade/.cache tmpfs relatime,nodev,nosuid,size=180M 0 0Offline
Are we still arguing about SSD writes in 2017? ~/.cache can contain files of arbitrary size. If that size=180m get exceeded, in the best case programs will break because they can no longer write to ~/.cache.
Last edited by Alad (2017-10-28 10:27:08)
Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby
Offline
Mythbusters need to be revived to take on SSD myths
Offline
Are we still arguing about SSD writes in 2017?
...You seem to be the only one wanting to start an argument.
Carefully re-read my post. I stated two facts about an /etc/fstab setting and shared it in the post, period.
1) No writes to filesystem.
2) Automatically erased on a reboot.
~/.cache can contain files of arbitrary size. If that size=180m get exceeded, in the best case programs will break because they can no longer write to ~/.cache.
You are correct. My use cases never gave issues exceeding 180m. Others may wish to monitor the dir size and modify the setting accordingly.
Offline
BTW: We are getting more and more off topic. ![]()
Last edited by DoXer (2017-10-28 13:09:59)
--
Regards
Michael
Offline
BTW: We are getting more and more off topic.
You could help by marking your thread [SOLVED] (I think you have your answer).
Offline
drcouzelis wrote:I'm going to throw out my general rule (in hopes that someone smarter will correct me if I'm wrong!)...
On any computer device (desktop, phone...), if a file or folder has the word "cache" in it, then it can be safely erased at any time.
rmr /usr/bin/*cache*?
All right, all right, you win. ![]()
For anyone reading this, do not use the "rm" command above. You might lose something you want, like "/usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache".
Offline
cfr wrote:drcouzelis wrote:I'm going to throw out my general rule (in hopes that someone smarter will correct me if I'm wrong!)...
On any computer device (desktop, phone...), if a file or folder has the word "cache" in it, then it can be safely erased at any time.
rmr /usr/bin/*cache*?
All right, all right, you win.
For anyone reading this, do not use the "rm" command above. You might lose something you want, like "/usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache".
Note my deliberate typo.
Last edited by cfr (2017-10-31 00:37:04)
CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions
Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L
Offline
Pages: 1