You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-28 09:08:03

chrpinedo
Member
Registered: 2017-10-12
Posts: 22

Problem to run a new vncserver session

Hello,

I am trying to configure a remote lightweight DE with vncserver. My habitual DE is GNOME. However, I would like to run something more lightweight such as openbox or lxde.

I setup my .vnc/xstartup with "exec openbox-session". I can connect and I see an openbox default session. However, when I try to run GNOME3 applications or Firefox, I can't. I think it is due to have an already GNOME3 session opened with my username. For example, Firefox tells there is an already firefox windows running (in my other DE).

How can I separate/isolate my different DE sessions?

Thanks,

Christian

Offline

#2 2017-10-29 09:42:05

kabads
Member
Registered: 2012-09-22
Posts: 271
Website

Re: Problem to run a new vncserver session

One simple way of doing it will be to run it as a different user. However, if that doesn't work, some programs allow you to run something as a client. I'm not sure which applications you need, but for example, if you run an instance of emacs and then need another, you would call emacsclient for the latter instance instead of emacs as emacs runs as a server. You may want to investigate if the applications you need allow you to do this.

Offline

#3 2017-10-29 09:53:58

chrpinedo
Member
Registered: 2017-10-12
Posts: 22

Re: Problem to run a new vncserver session

Yeah, I finally realised that it is problem related to the application.... For example, I can't run Firefox or Thunderbird inside a new VNC session if they are already running in another local session. The same happens with GNOME applications such as GNOME Terminal, because there is a local GNOME session with muy user id.

I will try to export my current session with x11vnc instead of creating a new session.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB