You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-30 20:59:20

Brontol
Member
Registered: 2017-10-30
Posts: 3

gnome-shell crashing with wayland

Gnome-shell has suddendly (this morning it worked fine) started crashing when logging in from gdm (when using wayland). When using x server it works just fine.

I'm using a laptop with an intel iGPU and a discrete nvidia gpu (using proprietary drivers+bumblebee).

I'm getting this error:
gnome-shell[928]: Can't initialize KMS backend: Could not take control: GDBus.Error:System.Error.EBUSY: Device or resource busy
ott 30 20:57:20 pc_abarzaghi gnome-session[854]: gnome-session-binary[854]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' exited with code 1
ott 30 20:57:20 pc_abarzaghi gnome-session-binary[854]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' exited with code 1
ott 30 20:57:20 pc_abarzaghi gnome-session-binary[854]: Unrecoverable failure in required component org.gnome.Shell.desktop

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Offline

#2 2017-10-30 21:15:37

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: The Wirral
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 9,003
Website

Re: gnome-shell crashing with wayland

Can you run Wayland if you disable the discrete GPU and use the Intel chip instead?

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-10-30 21:16:07)


Jin, Jîyan, Azadî

Offline

#3 2017-10-31 02:59:50

nrayamajhee
Member
Registered: 2016-12-21
Posts: 1

Re: gnome-shell crashing with wayland

This is affecting me too. I can't login to a wayland session with gdm. Weston works fine. I have bumblebee enabled. if I cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch, it is indeed turned off at boot.

Offline

#4 2017-10-31 06:11:11

shenliag
Member
Registered: 2017-10-29
Posts: 2

Re: gnome-shell crashing with wayland

same problem,after pacman -Syu.
i got this message:  Cannot open virtual console 7 (Permission Denied)

Offline

#5 2017-10-31 07:17:09

Brontol
Member
Registered: 2017-10-30
Posts: 3

Re: gnome-shell crashing with wayland

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Can you run Wayland if you disable the discrete GPU and use the Intel chip instead?

I'm sorry but I don't know how to do that. I've tried disabling bumblebee and turning it off using acpi_call, but no results.

EDIT: I remembered that I installed some updates yesterday morning, so I checked the logs and I saw that gdm was upgraded from 3.26.1 to 3.26.2. Just reverting it to the old version (3.26.1) solved my problem.
Sorry for having wasted your time.

Last edited by Brontol (2017-10-31 07:21:31)

Offline

#6 2017-10-31 07:41:28

sitwano
Member
Registered: 2017-07-07
Posts: 83

Re: gnome-shell crashing with wayland

Yes I also face this problem. I remember updating gdm this morning. Ever since then it stops working.

Offline

#7 2017-10-31 12:08:23

Revelation60
Member
From: The Netherlands
Registered: 2009-03-19
Posts: 158
Website

Re: gnome-shell crashing with wayland

Same issue here. Downgrading to 3.26.1 worked.

Offline

#8 2017-10-31 13:34:39

phw
Member
Registered: 2013-05-27
Posts: 318

Re: gnome-shell crashing with wayland

Same here. Interesting also that GDM does not remember the last session I used and always uses the GNOME Wayland session.

Offline

#9 2017-10-31 19:34:03

Brontol
Member
Registered: 2017-10-30
Posts: 3

Re: gnome-shell crashing with wayland

The new version (3.26.2.1) works fine, I have no problems.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB