You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-30 21:50:34

rskolasinski
Member
Registered: 2017-03-03
Posts: 23

[Solved] gnome 3.26 hides legacy status icons

Hi, I just realised that my indicator icon's tray disappeared completely (application icons located in bottom left corner of the screen).
I googled around, but found nothing except some old threads.

Trying to reinstall

librsvg

or running

# /usr/bin/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache

or

gtk-update-icon-cache

don't seem to help, as suggested her: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=135149 or here https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=135254




Had to install https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1031/topicons/ as a temporary solution.

Last edited by rskolasinski (2017-10-30 23:11:38)

Offline

#2 2017-10-30 22:28:52

windy
Member
Registered: 2013-11-10
Posts: 58

Re: [Solved] gnome 3.26 hides legacy status icons

rskolasinski wrote:

Hi, I just realised that my indicator icon's tray disappeared completely (application icons located in bottom left corner of the screen).
I googled around, but found nothing except some old threads.

I think you are looking for this blog post: https://blogs.gnome.org/aday/2017/08/31 … and-gnome/

Offline

#3 2017-10-30 22:39:16

rskolasinski
Member
Registered: 2017-03-03
Posts: 23

Re: [Solved] gnome 3.26 hides legacy status icons

Ah... So they plan to get rid of it and I had to be hit today by this update.
I don't understand why they disappeared today, I had Gnome 3.26 for some time already.

Also it reads that "From GNOME 3.26, we are therefore planning not to show status icons in GNOME Shell by default."
Does anyone know how to show them again?

Offline

#4 2017-10-30 23:02:50

ooo
Member
Registered: 2013-04-10
Posts: 1,638

Re: [Solved] gnome 3.26 hides legacy status icons

Read the blog post, there's an extension that adds back status icons functionality.

EDIT. That you had apparently installed already..

Last edited by ooo (2017-10-30 23:03:59)

Offline

#5 2017-10-30 23:11:02

rskolasinski
Member
Registered: 2017-03-03
Posts: 23

Re: [Solved] gnome 3.26 hides legacy status icons

I saw it, and even mentioned in my first post that I use it as temporary solution.
I was just wondering if it is possible to restore the legacy tray somehow, cause
I find it much superior. It doesn't seem that it is possible though...


More info I found:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/Stat … ration/FAQ
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/09/will … egacy-tray
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … 675#399675


Two another gnome extensiosn that do the job (however not in previous nice way):
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1031/topicons/
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ … r-support/



For some who may wonder why I found previous default solution better:
It just was nicely hidden when I didn't need it, leaving my desktop looking
aesthetically pleasant and minimalistic.

Anyway... mystery solved. Closing.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB