You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-03 04:42:27

cfr

[solved] What provides tcsd (or equivalent)?

I was looking for something else and became curious about the TPM support in Linux. According to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tr … orm_Module, there are some tools for this, at least for version 1.2 and, possibly, for version 2.

However, I don't have tcsd on my system and pkgfile tcsd returns no results. cower doesn't return any for the AUR, either. Looking for tpm, I found I have a manual page for tpmtool. There is no tpmtool on my system. However, the manual page is owned by gnutls. According to upstream's site, http://www.gnutls.org/manual/html_node/ … orm-Module, they support version 1.2 but recommend using other tools for version 2.0 instead.

Now, probably that means gnutls is a dead-end for real usage, but I'm just curious, so I don't much care. According to that page, the functionality needs the tcsd daemon running. Now, this daemon obviously isn't running by default. But I can't find any indication of its existence either. /usr/lib/systemd/system returns nothing when I look for tcsd/tpm related names and grepping doesn't return anything either.

http://www.gnutls.org/manual/html_node/ … Invocation documents the tpmtool I have the manual page for, but pkgfile hasn't heard of tpmtool any more than it's heard of tcsd, and the only result in the Arch wiki for tcsd or tpm is the page I started from.

Now, I wouldn't expect a complete absence of the tools everywhere, even if my machine lacked the chip. (They might not be installed, of course, but that's not a complete absence in the relevant sense.) I do have the chip and it is recognised, I think. However, I do not have the description file mentioned in the wiki.

/sys/class/tpm/tpm0/device/description

I do have the parent directory and

/sys/class/tpm/tpm0/device/driver/module/version 

returns

Now, I'm not sure what I'd use this for - I never got around to using it in my previous machine and I'd really rather get spell-checking working (procrastinating because stuck) - but, since it is there, I was interested to know what tools might use it.

Is this functionality removed from Arch's packages for some reason? Or is the wiki/upstream's documentation out-dated? Or am I missing something blindingly obvious? Am I misreading 'kjvg' as 'tcsd' or something and so barking up the wrong tree entirely?

Last edited by cfr (2017-11-03 05:05:40)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#2 2017-11-03 05:05:23

cfr

Re: [solved] What provides tcsd (or equivalent)?

Never mind. Apparently, it is necessary to start in the middle of the wiki page and come back to the initial steps later. My mind thinks that there is no point in continuing to step 2 if I'm stuck on step 1. However, no doubt others find it logical to begin with step 3 and do step 1 sometime after step 5.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Board footer