You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-08 12:53:15

dmekhanikov

[Solved] Cannot use Nvidia card on Dell Lattitude 5580

Hi, guys!

I'm trying to configure my system to use discrete NVIDIA GeForce 940MX card, but when I'm starting X server, image freezes and doesn't change.
On system startup image freezes after this message appears:

[  OK  ] Reached target Graphical Interface. 

But I'm still able to switch to another tty and work in it.

Judging by system logs and /var/log/Xorg.0.log, X server starts normally and doesn't print out any errors.
I already tried nvidia proprietary driver and nouveau, but behavior doesn't change significantly.
The only way I can work now is by using integrated Intel video card.

Here is my Xorg configuration:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Nvidia Card"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

I blacklisted other video drivers, as stated in wiki. Here is my /etc/modprobe.d/video.conf file:

install i915 /usr/bin/false
install intel_agp /usr/bin/false
install nouveau /usr/bin/false

Adding nomodeset kernel parameter doesn't change a thing.

I tried SDDM and xinit to start X server, but results are the same.

Can anybody suggest anything? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by dmekhanikov (2017-11-03 18:22:32)

#2 2017-11-02 14:57:39

Majzlik

Re: [Solved] Cannot use Nvidia card on Dell Lattitude 5580

Do you got any progress? I tried to install drivers and enforce Arch on Dell Precision 5520 to use them and spent 3 hours to got it back to functional state again. So my nvidia card does not work but Intel works at least...
So if you want to switch back to Intel, I got solution however if you want to set up nvidia card I got no help for you.

Last edited by Majzlik (2017-11-02 14:58:06)

#3 2017-11-02 15:17:17

V1del
Forum Moderator

If you want to use the dedicated graphics card in a dedicated way you should read and follow: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NV … ing_nvidia Pay close attention to the xrandr lines and especially to the proper locations depending on the used display manager.

In the future please don't hijack threads, however since I interpret your and the OPs goals to align here, I'm going to turn a blind eye to that fact.

#4 2017-11-03 18:19:51

dmekhanikov

Majzlik wrote:

Do you got any progress? I tried to install drivers and enforce Arch on Dell Precision 5520 to use them and spent 3 hours to got it back to functional state again. So my nvidia card does not work but Intel works at least...
So if you want to switch back to Intel, I got solution however if you want to set up nvidia card I got no help for you.

After a bunch of attempts to configure Nvidia driver as a main video card, I decided to use Intel driver alone. But after a while I realized that my video card had an Optimus support.

After installing xf86-video-intel, nvidia and bumblebee packages and cleaning all xorg config, Nvidia graphics card seems to work.

It's still unclear why Nvidia card doesn't work without bumblebee, but at least I have a solution for my particular problem.

Thank you guys for your input.

Board footer