You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-05 20:54:16

waldauf

[SOLVED] Booting completely gets stuck during initial loading kernel

Hi Arch's folk!

I spoke with my colleagues which update system is better - release VS rolling update. I'm big defender of rolling update. But may be I was. Because after one update (before one week) my system completely got stuck. During kernel loading my system doesn't ask me for LUKS password and completely got stuck. So I cannot whatever do.

[ 0.47xx] Error parsing PCC subspace from PCCT  << ........................................................................ << this is some error which I have seen for last half year. But it didn't affect system booting. May be till now.
[ 0.49xx] ACPI Error: Needed type [Reference], found [Ingteger] ffff8a1b7461a678 (20170531/exresop-103) << ................ << this is some error which I have seen for last half year. But it didn't affect system booting. May be till now.
[ 0.49xx] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_PR.CPU0._PCD, AE_AML_EPERNAD_TYPE (20170531/psparse-550)  << ........ << this is some error which I have seen for last half year. But it didn't affect system booting. May be till now.
:: running earli hook [udev]
Warning: /lib/moudles/4.13.10-1/ARCH/modules.devname not found - ignoring << .............................................. <<  From this place begins my problem with system booting. 
starting version 235
:: runing early hook [lvm2]
:: running hook [udev]
:: Triggering uevents...
:: running hook [encrypt]
Waiting 10 seconds for device /dev/sda3 ...
Waiting 10 seconds for device /dev/mapper/vg1-root ...
ERROR: device '/dev/mapper/vg1-root' not found. Skipping fsck.
:: mounting '/dev/mappper/vg1-root' on real root
mount: /new_root: no filesystem type specified.
You are now beiing drpped into an emergency shell.
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
[rootfs ]#    << ........................................................................................................... <<  Cannot type any command in this shell. The shell got stuck.

So said myself that there is problem with kernel modules installation and I need to generate new initram disk for GRUB2. But I'm not possible to run ARCH LIVE from USB. During booting I see this error:

:: Mounting '/dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201711' to '/run/archiso/bootmnt'
Waiting 30 seconds for device /dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201711 ...
ERROR: '/dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201711' device did not show up after 30 seconds...
  Failling back to interactive promt
  You can try to fix the problem manually, log out when you are finished
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
[rootfs ]# ls /dev/disk
by-id   by-partuuid  by-path  by-uuid

My Arch specifiactions:

• Laptop Lenovo X240

• Is installed on LUKS-on-LVM. So before loading kernel the system is asking me for LUKS password.

If there is missing some information ask me for them. I would like to run it again. I'm afraid if there is some HW problem. But don't know.

That's why I'm asking if somebody from you know what to do.... :]

#EDIT1: I realized that I had bad lsblk output here. That was from my working laptop, which I though has the same disk configuration like my home (=broken). But it isn't. So I removed lsblk output from list.
#EDIT2: According hooks during booting I fix my description. I have LUKS-on-LVM.

Last edited by waldauf (2017-11-06 21:12:01)

#2 2017-11-05 22:02:57

loqs

Re: [SOLVED] Booting completely gets stuck during initial loading kernel

Has the usb live media that failed worked successfully previously or did you create it only to discover it did not boot?
If it is newly created which method of creation did you use?  When dropped to the rescue shell of the live media was the block device for the usb present under /dev?

#3 2017-11-06 01:24:30

cfr

Which boot loader and/or boot manager are you using?

Do you remember what was updated? Were /boot and /boot/efi mounted at the time?

Please provide your boot configuration i.e. your kernel command line etc.

Did you boot the installed system successfully after configuring the initramfs? I ask because it looks as if the hooks are being triggered in the wrong order. You want encrypt to be triggered first - to unlock the encrypted container - and then lvm2 to be triggered to deal with the logical volumes. But your system appears to be running the lvm2 hook before the encrypt hook, which can't work because no volume group is available.

The order of the hooks in mkinitcpio.conf is crucial. For example, I have

HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf block encrypt lvm2 filesystems keyboard fsck shutdown)

for an LVM-on-LUKS configuration. Somebody using LUKS-on-LVM, on the other hand, would need lvm2 before encrypt.

Last edited by cfr (2017-11-06 01:26:03)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#4 2017-11-06 07:03:25

waldauf

loqs wrote:

Has the usb live media that failed worked successfully previously or did you create it only to discover it did not boot?
If it is newly created which method of creation did you use?  When dropped to the rescue shell of the live media was the block device for the usb present under /dev?

1. I tried the last ARCH ISO, which I downloaded yesterday. I tried it on my working laptop (where is also installed ARCH) and works like charm. After this test I put it to my home laptop (=broken) and it got stuck during boot with output which I described. Today I'll test another LIVE DISTRO.
2. I used dd method to create LIVE USB. I proceeded according documentation - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/US … a#Using_dd.
3. I think no. I'll check it tonight.

#5 2017-11-06 07:05:40

waldauf

I'm sorry I found some uncertainties in my first description. I fixed it. You can see my edit on the bottom of message.

#6 2017-11-06 14:35:56

susano

I had a similar issue today, I fixed it by replacing the HOOKS line in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf from:

HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata scsi sata encrypt filesystems usbinput fsck keyboard"

to the following line:

HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf block encrypt filesystems fsck keyboard)

and then running:

mkinitcpio -k 4.13.11-1-ARCH -p linux

from the encrypted root partition, arch-chrooted via a boot disk (also don't forget to mount /boot if it lives on a separate partition).

I suspect the source of the issue is the latest version of mkinitcpio not translating the deprecated hooks 'pata', 'scsi', and 'sata' to the 'block' hook, so not running the 'block' hook at all and therefore not initialising the block devices, including /dev/sdaX.

#7 2017-11-06 16:56:26

cfr

Can you now use the live media to boot the working laptop? I ask because on my old machine, a live media would boot the machine exactly once. It had to be recreated in order to boot a second time. If you cannot now boot the working machine with it, try recreating the media and using the fresh copy to boot the non-working machine.

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#8 2017-11-06 21:11:37

waldauf

Guys... many thanks for your help, problem solved! You don't believe me where was the problem. I tried many times to boot different Live Distros (Arch, Ubuntu, Gentoo) and always got stuck. But in my last attempt I put USB flash disk to second USB connector. And it works. I was in Live Distro. So I fixed my Arch (run update, where was installed new linux kernel and it generated new initram image) and rebooted. And now I'm writing this message from my fixed Arch. :]]

In short:

• I'm not sure why were bad installed kernel's modules or initram image. New generating initram image solved the problem.

• The most important my second USB connector is in some way broken. And it's not possible to boot from it Live Distro. Strange for me.

Thanks again!

Last edited by waldauf (2017-11-06 22:09:11)

#9 2017-11-07 07:53:55

waldauf

I discussed it with my colleagues and one said me that he observed the same behavior on Lenovo laptops. Right connectors are not possible to use for booting LIVE DISTRO. Just left USB connector.

#10 2017-11-07 16:55:59

cfr

waldauf wrote:

I discussed it with my colleagues and one said me that he observed the same behavior on Lenovo laptops. Right connectors are not possible to use for booting LIVE DISTRO. Just left USB connector.

I've never seen this on my Lenovo laptops. By default, I tend to use a right-side USB connection first and use the left-side only if I need additional capacity. For a live distro, I pretty much always use a connection on the right.

Board footer