You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-06 18:17:20

Triver

Thinkpad T460s - lspci stopped listing audio device

As the title indicates, my audio device stopped showing up in lspci which I'm guessing is the reason why audio stopped working entirely on my system (snd-hda-intel module doesn't get loaded on boot as well).

Unfortunately I can't exactly say when this started being the case since I rarely use audio (pretty much only to watch videos or listen to music), but I still would like to figure out the cause of it.

I already tried reverting some core packages (like linux, linux-firmware, systemd, acpi_call and/or alsa-lib) to a version where I'm relatively sure that I had audio but the state remained unchanged so I'm not sure what else I can do at this point.

I know its not a hardware issue since audio is working fine on the same system under Windows and I don't remember changing any settings that could have caused this (I did update my BIOS drivers relatively recently but nothing audio related shows up there either).

edit: Audio device randomly showed up and disappeared again between multiple reboots (I didn't change anything at all), so maybe a race condition or something like that?

In addition to the device showing up again I got familiar error messages in dmesg (see here) which have since disappeared and was hoping I wouldn't have to see again.
Could a package update be responsible for this and if so, which? (apart from the already mentioned ones that I tried)

edit2: Ok I'm not sure what the deal is but it seems like I'm able to consistently make the audio device appear when doing a cold boot, while its hit and miss when doing a reboot. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to further debug this issue?

edit3: It seems like once the issue appears it stays until I completely shut down and power up again. This way I was also able to trigger the issue in Windows (doing a reboot from the failure state), so I guess this could be an hardware issue after all, or some software in Arch causes the device to go into some unrecoverable failure state that it can't recover from unless power is completely removed.

Either way I guess I'll refrain from using Arch for a while to see if I can trigger the issue using solely Windows (or some other Linux distro).

Last edited by Triver (2017-11-06 21:01:01)

#2 2017-11-06 21:02:05

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Thinkpad T460s - lspci stopped listing audio device

Are you perchance booting to another operating system in between?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2017-11-06 21:04:59

Triver

Re: Thinkpad T460s - lspci stopped listing audio device

During the tests that I did I only booted to Arch, though as mentioned in my most recent edit that I did just now, it seems that I'm able to carry over the issue to a different system once its triggered.

Board footer