You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-08 22:48:01

simonszu

Password not accepted when logging in via non-X11 console (X11 works)

Hi, i have a weird problem which i absolutely have no idea how to fix this.

I am using passwordless auto-login with LXDM, and considering my computer enough secured with disc encryption. My disk encryption password is the same as my login password is.
The problem is: When i switch to a non-X11 terminal, e.g. with Ctrl-Alt-F2, and try to login as myself, my password is not accepted. Only root's login is accepted. However, entering my password for sudo stuff on X11 based terminals (currently xfce4 terminal) works.
I have no idea how this could happen. Could it be something with the passwordless LXDE login?

The second, maybe unrelated, but similar problem is: Logging in on an SSH host running Arch, which has the same password fails as well, when using my standard computer. When logging in via another host, running Debian, in the same network, it succeeds.
The SSH host has the same password entry bug when using it physically on a console terminal.

I have tried entering my password as username on the non-X11 console, to check if maybe my keymap or my keyboard could be broken - no, everything's fine, the password is correctly displayed.
Since my keyboard is working fine, my keymap is correct, and my password is the correct one, since it works for sudoing (and changing passwords), i have no idea why the console login does not accept it.
Has anyone any ideas?

Board footer