You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-09 01:03:34

gatsbythegerbil

Open audio CD to view files?

I know audio CDs cannot be mounted like data CDs and flash drives can, so udisks isn't helping me here, but I want to be able to view the files on an audio CD in a file manager like Thunar. Windows and Mac both do this natively as far as I know. I swear I've been able to do it on Mint before. Is there a package that allows file managers to load audio discs this way? Or is there a separate program that could do this without having to rip the disc?

#2 2017-11-09 01:53:05

ooo

Re: Open audio CD to view files?

There are no files on pure audio CD, just digital audio data, but some file managers can display each audio track as a "file".

Apparently there's audiocd-kio in [extra], which should enable this feature for dolphin and konqueror if I'm not mistaken. Couldn't find anything for thunar or nautilus at quick glance.

I suppose there could be e.g. FUSE filesystem that would allow displaying tracks as files without file manager, but couldn't find anything like that either.

#3 2017-11-09 02:54:38

cfr

gatsbythegerbil wrote:

I swear I've been able to do it on Mint before.

Are you using Mint now?

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#4 2017-11-09 04:35:23

ewaller
Administrator

It is not so much Mint as whatever Desktop Environment you were using.  DE's often use slight of hand to abstract things to the point where confusion reigns.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2017-11-09 05:27:04

gatsbythegerbil

Ah, good point. No, I'm using Arch, my first time having installed it myself (so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing a useful program or library) but not my first time using Arch in general. I'm using XFCE but I wouldn't be surprised if I'd used a different DE before with other distros.

And yeah, I'd like to be able to see each track displayed as if it were a file so I can view the contents of a disc without having to rip it. My mistake not knowing MP3s stored on a disc are no longer files per se - this is why I'm in the newbie corner!

[edit] I would prefer to stick with Thunar if possible, because that's what I've gotten used to. If I had to, I could switch to another FE, though.

Last edited by gatsbythegerbil (2017-11-09 05:28:58)

#6 2017-11-09 08:28:12

V1del
Forum Moderator

Thunar uses gvfs for virtual mounts and that should have support for this, so that should technically work. However mp3s stored on a disc are files per se, IF they where stored as mp3 instead of the raw audio stream.

Last edited by V1del (2017-11-09 08:28:58)

#7 2017-11-09 12:25:05

ooo

gatsbythegerbil wrote:

My mistake not knowing MP3s stored on a disc are no longer files per se - this is why I'm in the newbie corner!

If you burn data-CD with mp3 files, they are still mp3 files, and you should be able to mount the disk as any data-CD. If they are burned as audio-CD though, there's no filesystem and no files, just audio.

I would prefer to stick with Thunar if possible, because that's what I've gotten used to. If I had to, I could switch to another FE, though.

As V1del noted, this appears to be supported in gvfs via gvfsd-cdda. gvfs is optional dependency for thunar, so you should try installing it if you haven't already.

Board footer