You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-08 20:48:13

user001101

Getting high resolution in boot up and on ttyn with nvidia drivers

Hello everyone,

Before I switched from the nouveau drivers to nvidia, the boot up sequence and the terminals were all in high resolution. Now they aren't anymore. Tried to fix this by installing nvidia-dmks, this turned the thing basically upside down. The boot up sequence and so on were in high resolution, but max resolution I could set in gnome was 1024x768. Is there a way to fix this?

I'm using rEFInd instead of grub, in case that makes any difference

Thanks in advance

#2 2017-11-08 22:44:37

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Getting high resolution in boot up and on ttyn with nvidia drivers

dkms is not going to magically make your console high resolution, you likely broke something and are currently not running any designated graphics driver, if you don't run a custom kernel it might be worthwhile to switch back to the standard nvidia package, and then fixing the console with actual means...

Which, at least as far as I know, is not really possible right now, apart from using GRUB which can force the use of a vesa console, according to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … resolution

#3 2017-11-08 22:50:28

seth

The nvidia blob does not officially support framebuffer consoles. Even if you can activate them (while it's usually rather necessary to deactivate them), this might cause you unspecific bugs.
"Don't" try to fix this.

About your nvidia-dkms issue: sounds like this went wrong and you're now using the VESA driver (which supports up to XGA)

#4 2017-11-09 13:27:51

user001101

Ok, I switched back to nvidia for the moment. Hope there will be a solution at some point. Thank you!

Board footer