You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-08 21:53:11

chdslv

[SOLVED] Can't open user folder of another Arch installation

I have two Arch installations in two partitions. I can open all folders in the 2nd partition from the 1st partition, except for the user's folder. It can be opened only as root. It is the same from the 2nd Arch install. This only happens with the Arch installs, not in other distros in other partitions. I have not been using Arch for some time. Thanks for any help.

One is Mate, and the other is Xfce4.

EDIT: I found the answer. I had to change the permissions of Group and Others to Read Only.
Sorry for the trouble.

Last edited by chdslv (2017-11-08 22:04:36)

#2 2017-11-08 22:05:58

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Can't open user folder of another Arch installation

All of the above sounds like true statements.  Is there a question?  It is not surprising that you cannot read other user's files.  This would lead me to suspect that the users in question just have different UIDs on the two installations.

Do you want to be able to access the files?  If so, change the permissions on the directory as needed.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2017-11-09 22:17:17

chdslv

Re: [SOLVED] Can't open user folder of another Arch installation

Trilby wrote:

All of the above sounds like true statements.  Is there a question?  It is not surprising that you cannot read other user's files.  This would lead me to suspect that the users in question just have different UIDs on the two installations.

Do you want to be able to access the files?  If so, change the permissions on the directory as needed.

The problem was that the permissions for Group and the Others were None, and the owner was not me, but 1001. I opened the username (my name) folder as root from another installation and changed the permissions. And, it worked. I can now open the username folder and copy/paste into it. I had been using Debian/Ubuntu for sometime and this problem doesn't happen there, so I forgot about gibing permissions. I had already posted asking for help, but digging a bit further, found the remedy. Sorry for the trouble.

Board footer