You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-13 02:55:24

cfr

colord looks in /usr/local rather than system for icc profiles

I noticed that my journal contains

colord[746]: CdMain: failed to search system directories: Error opening directory '/usr/local/share/color/icc': Permission denied

I initially thought this was similar to the messages I see of the following kind:

systemd[759]: Failed to open generator directory /usr/local/lib/systemd/user-environment-generators: Permission denied
systemd[759]: Failed to open generator directory /usr/local/lib/systemd/user-generators: Permission denied
systemd[759]: Failed to open directory /usr/local/share/systemd/user, ignoring: Permission denied
systemd[759]: Failed to open directory /usr/local/lib/systemd/user, ignoring: Permission denied

I take it that these latter messages are expected on a system where only the system directories contain systemd components of the relevant sorts.

However, in the case of colord, the message is followed by by (many) repeated instances of

colord[746]: failed to get session [pid 733]: No data available

which suggests that it can't find something at all. I certainly have icc profiles installed in /usr/share/color/icc/colord/

AdobeRGB1998.icc  CIE-RGB.icc        EktaSpacePS5.icc                 FOGRA40L_SC_paper.icc    Gamma6500K.icc              SMPTE-C-RGB.icc           sRGB.icc
AppleRGB.icc      ColorMatchRGB.icc  FOGRA27L_coated.icc              FOGRA45L_lwc.icc         IFRA26S_2004_newsprint.icc  SNAP_TR002_newsprint.icc  x11-colors.icc
BestRGB.icc       Crayons.icc        FOGRA28L_webcoated.icc           FOGRA47L_uncoated.icc    NTSC-RGB.icc                SWOP_TR003_coated_3.icc
BetaRGB.icc       DonRGB4.icc        FOGRA29L_uncoated.icc            GRACoL_TR006_coated.icc  PAL-RGB.icc                 SWOP_TR005_coated_5.icc
Bluish.icc        ECI-RGBv1.icc      FOGRA30L_uncoated_yellowish.icc  Gamma5000K.icc           ProPhotoRGB.icc             SwappedRedAndGreen.icc
BruceRGB.icc      ECI-RGBv2.icc      FOGRA39L_coated.icc              Gamma5500K.icc           Rec709.icc                  WideGamutRGB.icc

so I assume it is not that it can't find. In any case, I'm not sure why it says that it fails to get 'session'. Which session? Is it talking about a systemd/X/user/whatever session? The PID suggests it may be talking about something to do with printers, as this is currently the ID for the CUPS demon.

733 ?        Ss     0:02 /usr/bin/cupsd -l

colord is a dependency of gtk3-print-backends, so this seems not impossible.

I tried to figure out which systemd unit was wanting colord.service. However, the answer is almost everything, according to systemctl or I'm just not reading the output correctly.

colord.service
● ├─-.mount
● ├─dbus.socket
● ├─system.slice
● ├─tmp.mount
● ├─var.mount
● └─sysinit.target
●   ├─dev-hugepages.mount
●   ├─dev-mqueue.mount
●   ├─kmod-static-nodes.service
●   ├─ldconfig.service
●   ├─lvm2-lvmetad.socket
●   ├─proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.automount
●   ├─sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount
●   ├─sys-kernel-config.mount
●   ├─sys-kernel-debug.mount
●   ├─systemd-ask-password-console.path
●   ├─systemd-binfmt.service
●   ├─systemd-firstboot.service
●   ├─systemd-hwdb-update.service
●   ├─systemd-journal-catalog-update.service
●   ├─systemd-journal-flush.service
●   ├─systemd-journald.service
●   ├─systemd-machine-id-commit.service
●   ├─systemd-modules-load.service
●   ├─systemd-random-seed.service
●   ├─systemd-sysctl.service
●   ├─systemd-sysusers.service
●   ├─systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
●   ├─systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
●   ├─systemd-udev-trigger.service
●   ├─systemd-udevd.service
●   ├─systemd-update-done.service
●   ├─systemd-update-utmp.service
●   ├─cryptsetup.target
●   ├─local-fs.target
●   │ ├─-.mount
●   │ ├─boot.mount
●   │ ├─home.mount
●   │ ├─mnt-between.mount
●   │ ├─systemd-fsck-root.service
●   │ ├─systemd-remount-fs.service
●   │ ├─tmp.mount
●   │ ├─usr-local.mount
●   │ └─var.mount
●   └─swap.target

I don't actually have a swap partition and it anyway seems most unlikely that it would need colour profiles, even if I did.

Is there actually anything I should fix here? I was looking in the journal only because my battery seems to have depleted faster than usual. I'm not suggesting that's related. I'm just explaining that I wasn't trying to track down any colour-profile related problem when I looked at this. Just, having found it, I'd like to resolve it or know there is nothing which needs resolving.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Board footer