You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-15 21:32:47

alswg1994

Freeze at startx if using intel HD530 graphics (4.5.0-1 kernel)

(First, I'm sorry that there's no error log about these problems, because it freezes so fast that there's no message out after "startx" execution in /var/log/kern.log)

Hardware:
MSI GS40-6qe with Samsung 950 pro 512GB(nvme ssd) only

Basic Settings:
Installed with Archlinux Dual-ISO(2016.04.01) -> amd64
partition : 512MiB /boot FAT32(FLAG: boot, esp), 20480MiB SWAP , (rest)MiB /root BTRFS
bootloader : systemd-boot (kernel parameter :

rw, nvidia-drm.modeset=1

)
mainly installed package(with their deps) :

bumblebee mesa mesa-libgl xf86-video-intel nvidia lib32-virtualgl lib32-nvidia-utils lib32-mesa-libgl lib32-primus primus mesa-demos 

mkinitcpio modules :

intel_age i915 nvidia nvidia_modeset nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm 

...and many many things from ArchWiki and etc. that I dont remember now(I'm ready to upload any informations you request)..

Actually, I already had this problem from Ubuntu(14.04.4LTS, 15.10, and 16.04 beta 2, with 4.2.0/4.4.0/4.4.6/4.5.0/4.6.0rc1/4.6.0rc2/4.6.0rc3... yeah, I had spent so mush time with this), and also with that I have done everything I could find on web.

When using ubuntu, I can't even make Bumblebee or just nvidia proprietary drivers(from lowest version possible to 361.14), but with this Arch installation I made Bumblebee work.
Now I can verify it with

primusrun glxgears -info && glxgears -info  

(primus ~ shows it uses nvidia GM204M, and another intel hd530(gt2) ).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But there are two final problems...
1. X server(or kernel or anything else...) freezes if only with intel's one.
2. "bbswitch" to turn off nvidia graphics is seemed to work by luck.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finally gave up this... It doesn't even show proper logs or error messages, it just stops(so I don't know which one stopped working).
With just bumblebee, it seems to not cut out the power to nvidia graphics(I could know this with MSI GS40's external LED light that shows what graphics  is actually being used), but to just decide which graphics will be designated to run the process.
So I turned nvidia off with

modprobe bbswitch load_state=0 unload_state=1 

when X was also turned off. But only with Intel graphics,  every time I excute "startx" it freezes, even SysRq doesn't work. It happens in Ubuntu also.
Also "bbswitch" seems to work at turning off it by luck. Sometime does, sometime doesn't.

I already tried so many solutions to solve this but the day after days have passed, now I finally gave up this and write this thread...
I tried those...
1. edit xorg.conf/xorg.conf.d : I didn't have xorg.conf and I made 20-intel.conf that hadn't existed, but no effects.

Section "Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "NoAccel" "true"
   Option      "TearFree" "false"
   Option      "DRI" "false"
   VideoRam 461632
EndSection 

2. add kernel parameters : I have added these, but no effect.

i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 intel_idle.max_cstate=1 i915.semaphores=1 

Since there are many many Skylake laptops with Optimus graphics, but I could't find many information about these, just variations of No.1 and No.2 soultions above, I tried all of these which I have found, but nothing worked really.
So... please, please help me ;-;

Additional Info:
In Ubuntu, it's almost same, but I can login into Unity/XFCE desktop with Intel graphics. But the problem happens when running openGL process(glxinfo or glxgears) or logout/reboot/shutdown/suspend/turning 'lightdm' down(or restart), it freezes like I explained above. I asked my friend(who knows Linux very well) to fix this WITH UBUNTU installation, I found that It can be entered only with certain procedures, hooking initial scripts to Systemd's Lightdm service to excute "modprobe bbswitch load_state=0" during the initialization of it. The switching of graphics took the place in Greeting login screen(when GS40's notification light turned into red(using integrated graphics(intel)). Throught this I could login into Unity/XFCE, and also logout/reboot/shutdown. But if restarting lightdm or re-login after logout... freezes. I think this occurs because of the same thing with Arch. It doesn't show log either,  related to X(I'm pretty sure since it hangs exactly after

service lightdm start

completed, or maybe related to OpenGL/Acceleration things because it freezes like same during

glxgear -info

. I couldn't test this at Arch because Arch doesn't even allowed me to get into X windows to test that), and only with the Intel's one.
More adds:
Now I have confirmed 'startx' also freezes in Ubuntu with intel graphics only.

(I'm not quite good at English, so please excuse any verbal/grammatical errors. I wrote the every information I still remember now(I have messed the arch installation to fix it, so I think I have to reinstall it). If there's any additional request of information, I will upload that right away.)

Last edited by alswg1994 (2016-04-15 22:33:25)

#2 2016-04-17 08:05:27

lswest
Website

Re: Freeze at startx if using intel HD530 graphics (4.5.0-1 kernel)

I've had similar issues with an intel Skylake processor (in an Intel NUC6i5SYH).  The only kernel parameter that I needed/seemed to help was the one described at the very end of this page.  Another option is to disable hardware acceleration - though that brings with it other trade-offs, and doesn't seem to have worked for you.

The kernel parameter itself (from the wiki):

i915.enable_rc6=0

I've not tested this on a dual system (nvidia/intel), but it should help.

Last edited by lswest (2016-04-17 08:06:50)

Lswest <- the first letter of my username is a lowercase "L".
"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds

#3 2016-04-23 18:03:51

OdinEidolon

lswest wrote:

I've had similar issues with an intel Skylake processor (in an Intel NUC6i5SYH).  The only kernel parameter that I needed/seemed to help was the one described at the very end of this page.  Another option is to disable hardware acceleration - though that brings with it other trade-offs, and doesn't seem to have worked for you.

The kernel parameter itself (from the wiki):

i915.enable_rc6=0

I've not tested this on a dual system (nvidia/intel), but it should help.

I confirm this on my XPS15 with Intel/Nvidia graphics.

The problem is related to Intel only. Something to do with X, the problem does not appear on TTY opr Wayland. Anyone has a bug report or more info on this?

Hardware: 2016 Dell XPS15 - matte FullHD - i5-6300HQ - 32GB DDR4 - Nvidia GTX960M - Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD - 56Wh
Software: Plasma 5 - rEFInd - linux-ck - preload - prelink - verynice - psd - bumblebee

#4 2017-11-13 13:05:07

Dong

I am using my HASEE laptop with i7-6700HQ and GTX960m. And I am faced with the same problem. If I disabled the Nvidia card before startx, it will crash. But if I trun it ON (using bbswitch), things will be ok. Maybe it's the same problem with yours. And I haven't found a solution yet.

#5 2017-11-13 13:25:33

V1del
Forum Moderator

Please open up a new topic with up to date information on the state of your system. Make sure you've gone through the steps outlined in the troubleshooting section of the bumblebee wiki article.  Don't necrobump.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … bumping.22

Closing.

Last edited by V1del (2017-11-13 13:25:58)

Board footer