You are not logged in.

#6151 2017-11-11 16:25:08

Texbrew

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Welcome aboard, y'all, enjoy Arch.

#6152 2017-11-12 06:34:25

BlueClaws

Hello Arch world. I'm BlueClaws. Its really great to be be here.
I've been looking into Arch for over an year but never got over the curve of installing the OS onto my system. I didn't have much time to dig around to learn more, but now I will and get there!
I love the way Arch is but I'm still running Ubuntu (17.10). I'm going to soon change to Arch when the support for 17.10 dies. Until then I'll learn it all!!
smile

#6153 2017-11-12 11:12:01

sKnVo

Hello,

I'm on arch as a means to learn "linux"
I've been using it for ~1 year now as my only OS.

I love pacman.
I love the baremetal do it yourself approach.

Thank you for such a great Wiki

#6154 2017-11-12 19:03:25

morten.dynamite

Hello

I have switched to Arch from Gentoo. smile

Last edited by morten.dynamite (2017-11-12 19:03:51)

#6155 2017-11-13 13:17:03

osintusr

Hi all,

I've just successfully installed Arch from scratch for the first time after about a week using "Anarchy Linux" (formerly Arch Anywhere). Prior to that I distro-hopped for about a year (Mint, Ubuntu Mate, Manjaro, Fedora etc etc.) after vowing never to settle for another Windows or Mac machine again. After using gnu/linux for about a year as my only OS (mostly for regular tasks, and a bit of Python programming and GIS work) I wanted to dig a little deeper, but struggled on Ubuntu and others, mostly because I felt too shielded from the "nuts and bolts". I'm no longer troubled by those restrictions.

Looking forward to getting involved and contributing in future.

Cheers,
Osintusr

#6156 2017-11-14 02:30:15

laika
Website

Yo.

I've used Arch a few times in the past, probably a collective 3 years or so total (although not always on my main machine). It isn't my favorite distro (I personally much prefer Debian testing/sid and even the non-Linux FreeBSD), but I often find it useful to me as I frequently find myself with new hardware or a configuration of proprietary components that actually makes other operating systems more of a bitch to get up and running. While I have my preferences, I tend to be pretty pragmatic when it comes to operating systems and I often base choices around ease of use.

Arch is significantly better than I remember it being several years ago, in terms of support, reliability, and package selection. It was by far the easiest thing to install on my Thinkpad X1 Carbon at the time I purchased it, and despite me initially planning on replacing it around the point at which Stretch became the new stable version of Debian, I've continued using it out of comfort, specifically because I don't want to have to deal with making my combination of KDE and i3 work as well as I've made it work.

I wish there were more branches to choose from in the event of problematic packages, I miss update-alternatives, and compiling kernels isn't as fun (hard for me to explain) but Arch is still by far favorable to many other options for me and I feel like I might have things to offer this community in terms of help.

Last edited by laika (2017-11-14 02:30:50)

#6157 2017-11-14 05:27:49

Texbrew

Welcome, fellow archers. For whatever reason you arrived here, I'm glad you got here.

#6158 2017-11-14 12:58:02

Jankoekenpan

Hello there, I've been using Arch Linux now for a year on my laptop in a dual boot setup, and I recently installed it on a 15 year old desktop that used to run Windows XP. I'm amazed that it works on my old hardware (and I'm amazed there was actually a 64bit processor in there haha).

#6159 2017-11-16 08:36:19

Ebe

Hello, everyone.

This is my first time using Arch. I've been using Ubuntu for around 3 years and wanted to check out Arch and see how it works out. I'm first trying it in Virtual Box before deciding on making the switch.

The feature that attracted me was 'everything is up-to-date'. This meant that there is no need to upgrade the distro as I do in Ubuntu LTS versions to keep the package support.

I look forward to seeing how this turns out for me.

--
Ebe Isaac

#6160 2017-11-16 15:33:02

Palanthis
Website

Hello, everyone! Long time Linux user, but new to Arch. The concept and philosophy intrigued me, so I decided to give it a shot and I am loving it! My first two (test) installs were VMs and today I am throwing it on my laptop.

Just wanted to say "Hi" and introduce myself. smile

#6161 2017-11-16 15:35:04

Palanthis
Website

Ebe wrote:

Hello, everyone.

This is my first time using Arch. I've been using Ubuntu for around 3 years and wanted to check out Arch and see how it works out. I'm first trying it in Virtual Box before deciding on making the switch.

The feature that attracted me was 'everything is up-to-date'. This meant that there is no need to upgrade the distro as I do in Ubuntu LTS versions to keep the package support.

I look forward to seeing how this turns out for me.

--
Ebe Isaac

My first VirtualBox install kept puking on an .Xauthority errors. Second go, I installed lightdm and lightdm-gtk-greeter and added "systemctl enable lightdm.service" and it worked like a charm. Using XFCE.

Good luck!

#6162 2017-11-16 19:03:11

sKnVo

Palanthis wrote:

...The concept and philosophy intrigued me...

Just want to +1 this

I didn't bother with any VM's though! I nuked my laptop and did wiki trawlling until it finally booted with arch... then re-installed about 5 more times till I felt confident with the flow and my understanding! xD

#6163 2017-11-17 19:00:46

gtvmsilva

Hello from Texas ... just got Arch to work on my laptop (not the way I desired), but had fun with that for two days.  Arch's installation wiki is very helpful.

#6164 2017-11-18 16:37:23

Texbrew

Jankoekenpan wrote:

...(and I'm amazed there was actually a 64bit processor in there haha).

Me, too. I've had a PC for 12 years, prob'ly  built a year earlier - that's 32 bit. It's the first machine I installed Arch on, and 32 bit has now been dropped from the official repos. Just a couple days ago, I migrated that machine to the Archlinux-32 project https://archlinux32.org/ and it was much easier than I thought it might be (shameless plug for that project). I have other 64 bit machines, and I don't use that PC very often. I could have carried on without it, but it is still "my baby", and I'm pleased to able to keep Arch up to date on it.

Ebe, three cheers for VirtualBox. I suggest you back up whatever data you have on your Ubuntu machine before you wipe it to install Arch. There are no guarantees, but there's a good chance Arch will play well on your hardware, if it's x86_64 architecture.

Palanthis, how did the laptop install go?

sKnVo wrote:

...then re-installed about 5 more times till I felt confident with the flow and my understanding! xD

That's pretty hard core, but definitely good practice. Installing more than once to get it right  isn't uncommon, though. As I've said before, my first dances at the Arch party were with the help of VirtualBox, because I needed confidence before doing a hardware install.

Looking back, the VirtualBox installs were not really necessary for me because the machines were already running other linux distros, and I could have reverted to said distros if I couldn't get Arch to work.

gtvmsilva, greetings, fellow Texan. It's good to have you aboard.

Welcome aboard to all of you.

#6165 2017-11-19 00:36:19

nomorewindows

jD91mZM2 wrote:

Hello! Comin' strait from Ubuntu here.

I'm happy to be here, but I'm afraid of what will happen when my computer breaks down. (I'll have to install Arch... AGAIN D:)

Arch is amazing though! While it's not the most supported distro, it's certainly the most fun one.
I mean, seriously! Stuff like NeoVim and KeePassXC are in pacman!! How amazing is that? Very!
Also, the name pacman is just amazing. Reminds me of the pacman constantly.
I love that guy, even though I'm young enough to never have played the original game.

Thank you all for the distrobution, the wikis and the general fun.
big_smile

Well you know you can use pacman to install PACman...
But someone said it might be making a comeback...and the ghosts are already running scared...

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#6166 2017-11-21 19:42:32

ecssce

Hello, everyone!

I am glad to be part of community of Arch Linux users. I am a newbie in linux world and never used it before, and I am using Arch on my personal laptop for two weeks.

Thanks for the great distro, and for this forum also.

Salutes!
São Paulo.

PS: Sorry for my bad english, I am studying your language, also.

--
Evandro Santos

#6167 2017-11-22 07:01:32

Kabir

Hello all!

This is my first time of installing Arch the pure way. I have used Antergos in the past, but now I had to get a new machine and Antergos wont boot on it so I thought why not overcome my long term fear of installing Arch the right way. Since Ive never done it before, heck Ive been using linux for many years but Ive never even installed a driver manually leave alone partition my disks, so yeah this was intimidating but Ive been wanting for so long to move away from the "based-on-arch-distros" to using pure Arch and what better way than to install it on a brand new machine. smile  ...and now I see the benefits of installing the entire distro piece by piece.

Many thanks to the devs and the Arch community for the amazing Arch wiki. And btw the install.txt file was super helpful, nice touch to include it the iso.

K

#6168 2017-11-22 11:41:46

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Kabir wrote:

This is my first time of installing Arch the pure way.

Fixed that for you.  Welcome to the forums, and to your new distro.  Your Antergos experience will undoubtedly help you with your new Arch Linux system in just the same way as someone else's Debian experience would help them.  Linux is Linux.  Arch and Antergos do not differ just in installation method: they are different distros just as Arch and Debian are different distros.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6169 2017-11-22 13:17:05

Kabir

Trilby wrote:
Kabir wrote:

This is my first time of installing Arch the pure way.

Fixed that for you.  Welcome to the forums, and to your new distro.  Your Antergos experience will undoubtedly help you with your new Arch Linux system in just the same way as someone else's Debian experience would help them.  Linux is Linux.  Arch and Antergos do not differ just in installation method: they are different distros just as Arch and Debian are different distros.

Well said! smile and thanks!

#6170 2017-11-22 16:39:38

Awebb

Trilby wrote:

are different distros

"...she finally agreed to my request, but I was certainly perturbed by what she had strapped around her waist."

WYS is not always WYG.

#6171 2017-11-23 22:16:14

Texbrew

ecssce wrote:

Hello, everyone!

I am glad to be part of community of Arch Linux users. I am a newbie in linux world and never used it before, and I am using Arch on my personal laptop for two weeks.

Thanks for the great distro, and for this forum also.

Salutes!
São Paulo.

PS: Sorry for my bad english, I am studying your language, also.

I'm impressed. From what I have seen here on the forums, you are in a small minority - I think most Arch users start with one or more linux distros before installing Arch.

Your English seems good to me.

Welcome to you and Kabir. Enjoy it.

#6172 2017-11-24 10:01:27

dNhax

Hello!

I've built a small home server recently and decided to install Arch as the OS, because next to my love for programming I'm very passionate about tinkering with hardware, software and linux; so Arch is the perfect fit, right? ;-)

Installation was very smooth, thanks to the wiki. Currently running the server mainly for media streaming purposes, but planning on extend it's usage for my personal git-hosting and other programming related tasks (CI/CD pipeline).

Thanks a lot for the perfect distro for my tinkering needs and a beautiful community.

Cheers,

dNhax.

#6173 2017-11-24 22:51:28

kstef

Hello, I'm Karol, from Poland, EU.

Installed Arch 3 days ago (mostly following the guide roll) and I need to set up some things like change the default font, because it looks awful in some apps like firefox. Also, reconfig GRUB (didn't recognized my first OS) and install the neccessary programms. I want to solve them on my own, so haven't spammed on the forum yet. So far I had problems with freezing while working on KDE (turned vsync off and updated the video drivers helped) and some minor things like re-switching keyboard layout which was pretty tricky.

Last edited by kstef (2017-11-24 22:52:47)

#6174 2017-11-27 15:08:34

dhumes06

Hello Everyone,
I have been using the forum for a while now, as a non-member, even though I was on different distros.
I have found that the advice on the forum always valuable.
I decided to make the switch  Arch, so I jumped on to register page, and well here I am.

So once again, hello everybody!

"By golly, I'm beginning to think Linux really *is* the best thing since
sliced bread."
(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)

#6175 2017-11-27 17:41:39

noobarcher

Hi,

My first 2 days experience was great with Arch after Ubuntu. I've learned a lot about Linux. To be honest I almost hated it during installation. I had a dual boot UEFI setup with Ubuntu and Windows. Replacing Ubuntu with Arch was really hard for me. But after that pain and tinkering the Arch a little bit I love everything about Arch. I guess the most important thing I've learned is RTFM in last 2 days. Even a couple hours ago I've asked a question in the forum about Genymotion and the problem was I did not RTFM about VirtualBox. But a guy replied my question nicely and problem solved.

So I guess I will be here for a long time.

Board footer