You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-13 03:08:32

xsilentmurmurx

Running into issues with highlighting text and other mouse issues

Hello all

I have arch linux installed on my desktop PC with LXQT as the Desktop environment.  I keep running into issues with my mouse. For example, no matter which linux distro i install on my desktop PC, I still cannot get my mouse to high light text properly without trying a bunch of times. It usually highlights a part of the text and then tries to "drag" the rest of the text... it's very strange ...... if anyone has any pointers on how to fix that, please let me know..    I cannot highlight text with the mouse on the first try. I have to keep doing it over and over and over again until it finally works.   Also, my mouse is WAYY too sensitive.. I have tried to set the sensitivity using the keyboard and mouse settings GUI in LXQT but that didn't solve anything.  When I double click on something,the mouse acts way too sensitive and double clicks on the thing instead.  Or when I am in a VM that I created using KVM and Virt-manager, the mouse is acting even more sensitive.   

Please help if possible. ALL help is greatly appreciated!

Here is my graphics card info:

lshw -C display
  *-display                 
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: Caicos [Radeon HD 6450/7450/8450 / R5 230 OEM]
       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
       version: 00
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
       resources: irq:40 memory:c0000000-cfffffff memory:fea20000-fea3ffff ioport:e000(size=256) memory:c0000-dffff

Please let me know if there is any other information that I need to provide in order for this issue to get fixed.

Thanks!

#2 2017-11-13 04:52:03

sKnVo

Re: Running into issues with highlighting text and other mouse issues

The information provided is for the display, however you're asking for help regarding the mouse.

Have you tried a different mouse by any chance to confirm the problem is not hardware related?

#3 2017-11-13 08:32:07

seth

usually highlights a part of the text and then tries to "drag" the rest of the text

When I double click on something,the mouse acts way too sensitive and double clicks on the thing instead

I'll just assume it double clicks for single clicks...

The mouse button bounces, happens because cheap switch break early (confirmed HW issue by affecting multiple software stacks). Unfortunately an expensive mouse won't get you expensive switches these days, they're kinda designed to break.
You can replace the switch if you know how to wield a solder. Otherwise get a new mouse. Good mice pre-say-2010 will usually not expose this and hold for virtually ever (or untill the shell gets itchy), so if you have such around be happy with it.
Cheap mice will usually first break their wheel, but you can usually "fix" that with a drop of superglue - their switches will break just as fast as those of expensive mice.

#4 2017-11-14 04:38:52

xsilentmurmurx

seth wrote:

usually highlights a part of the text and then tries to "drag" the rest of the text

When I double click on something,the mouse acts way too sensitive and double clicks on the thing instead

I'll just assume it double clicks for single clicks...

The mouse button bounces, happens because cheap switch break early (confirmed HW issue by affecting multiple software stacks). Unfortunately an expensive mouse won't get you expensive switches these days, they're kinda designed to break.
You can replace the switch if you know how to wield a solder. Otherwise get a new mouse. Good mice pre-say-2010 will usually not expose this and hold for virtually ever (or untill the shell gets itchy), so if you have such around be happy with it.
Cheap mice will usually first break their wheel, but you can usually "fix" that with a drop of superglue - their switches will break just as fast as those of expensive mice.

Thank you for your reply.  So do you think replacing my mouse with a better one, will fix the issue with highlighting text as well? Or is the highlighting text issue related to some misconfiguration in  Xorg?

#5 2017-11-14 07:36:27

seth

I'm pretty sure this is the same issue. If you highlight text and the press and hold the highlighted text, most toolkits will start dragging it.
So what happens is that the switch opens and closes w/o you noticing it and this is interpreted as a click.

Latest libinput drivers should provide a non-configurable bounce filter (<12ms) which might or not cover this - depending on how broken the mouse really is.
Trying a new one will certainly tell.
As mentioned: "price" is unfortunately no longer a usable indicator for "quality" itr, even logitech uses crappy switches these days :-(

Board footer