You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-28 15:38:03

ironLink21

black apps windows in screen share programs (google hangouts/appear.in

recently for work I've noticed that when I'm in video calls I'm not able to share individual apps in a screenshare on google hangouts or appear.in.  this used to work before but recently has stopped working and I'm not exactly sure what's caused the problem.

My configuration:

laptop: Asus ROG 702vm
xorg
kde as my DE
i3 as my WM.
nvidia-dkms driver.

I've been scowering the internet the last couple of weeks and trying a bunch of different things with no avail!  All the issues that I do find are people not being able to share their whole screen but are able to share specific apps which is exactly opposite of my problem.  I can share my whole screen but not specific apps.  The apps show up on the "available apps" window but they're either all black or partially black (they only show part of the app).

I thought that it might be virtualbox causing problems but when I blacklists those kms modules the problem still persisted.

Has anyone else ran into this problem?

thanks in advance

Last edited by ironLink21 (2017-10-28 15:40:33)

#2 2017-10-30 15:39:43

ironLink21

Re: black apps windows in screen share programs (google hangouts/appear.in

UPDATE:
searching around some more I found this sub-reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/i3wm/comments/ … s_to_show/

The 5th response sheds a little more light as to what the problem could be.  Something with "google's video backend"  that's effecting both hangouts and appear.in.

looking into this avenue further will post any findings here.

#3 2017-11-14 00:28:43

Noop

I have this issue too.
Are you still experiencing this?

It worked when I was using Mint and i3 but now it does not.

For some reason one particular window (placed to the farthest right on one monitor) works to share, but no other window.

ROG motherboard (don't remember which model)
Xorg
I3
nvidia drivers

I swapped from i3-gaps to i3 to test it to no avail.

Tried turning on / off hardware acceleration in Chrome.
Tried latest version of Chrome (unstable)
Messed around with various configs to no avail as well.

#4 2017-11-14 01:16:57

ironLink21

What I finally had to do was setup my screens via the nvidia-settings app, once I did that then all the screens worked.  In the nvidia-settings I forced all monitors to be on the xscreen 0 and then made sure they were all positioned with absolute coordinates.
I also think it might have been a config somewhere in my ~/.config that was messing something up with chrome. 
I ended up deleting my ~/.config and just going through and re-configuring all my apps.

things are now working really well! 
I'm using:
KDE with I3wm
Xorg
nvidia proprietary drivers

I hope that helps.

Last edited by ironLink21 (2017-11-14 01:18:07)

#5 2017-11-14 10:16:14

Noop

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the nvidia-settings app (absolute positioning, every monitor set to "X screen 0").
I also removed all my .config files and tried it again but to no avail.

At least I know it should be a solvable problem as you managed to (and it sounds like our issues were the same).

The final line in my .xinitrc is `exect i3` (perhaps you swapped that for something else that helps?)

Again, thanks for the reply.

Board footer