You are not logged in.

#801 2017-06-21 08:45:12

OdinEidolon
Member
From: Belluno - Italy
Registered: 2011-01-31
Posts: 478

Re: profile-sync-daemon - keep browser profiles in tmpfs and sync'ed

graysky wrote:

@OdinEidolon - Not sure... the oldest recovery snapshot should give the last-known-good profile.  I updated to 59 without issue hmm

I replaced "chromium" with all snapshots, but all present this problem. I suspect it might be chromium-related, and not PSD-related? Do you have any suggestion on what to look for?


Hardware: 2016 Dell XPS15 - matte FullHD - i5-6300HQ - 32GB DDR4 - Nvidia GTX960M - Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD - 56Wh
Software: Plasma 5 - rEFInd - linux-ck - preload - prelink - verynice - psd - bumblebee

Offline

#802 2017-06-21 09:02:04

graysky
Member
From: /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern
Registered: 2008-12-01
Posts: 9,264
Website

Re: profile-sync-daemon - keep browser profiles in tmpfs and sync'ed

If you're rebuilding the profile,, keep psd out of the mix while you do it.  Get it setup the way you want and verify that it is working as expected.  Make a backup of it (tarball or whatever), and start psd.  Works as expected?


CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs • 1.21 JIGOWATTS!

Offline

#803 2017-06-21 14:41:29

OdinEidolon
Member
From: Belluno - Italy
Registered: 2011-01-31
Posts: 478

Re: profile-sync-daemon - keep browser profiles in tmpfs and sync'ed

graysky wrote:

If you're rebuilding the profile,, keep psd out of the mix while you do it.  Get it setup the way you want and verify that it is working as expected.  Make a backup of it (tarball or whatever), and start psd.  Works as expected?

Nope, I know I have to stop and restart PSD when I rename backups, I always do this. I am lost at this.
sad


Hardware: 2016 Dell XPS15 - matte FullHD - i5-6300HQ - 32GB DDR4 - Nvidia GTX960M - Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD - 56Wh
Software: Plasma 5 - rEFInd - linux-ck - preload - prelink - verynice - psd - bumblebee

Offline

#804 2017-06-21 14:55:54

graysky
Member
From: /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern
Registered: 2008-12-01
Posts: 9,264
Website

Re: profile-sync-daemon - keep browser profiles in tmpfs and sync'ed

I am saying to rebuild the profile with all extensions, bookmarks, etc.  verify it works, backup, then try it with psd.


CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs • 1.21 JIGOWATTS!

Offline

#805 2017-06-21 19:32:45

OdinEidolon
Member
From: Belluno - Italy
Registered: 2011-01-31
Posts: 478

Re: profile-sync-daemon - keep browser profiles in tmpfs and sync'ed

graysky wrote:

I am saying to rebuild the profile with all extensions, bookmarks, etc.  verify it works, backup, then try it with psd.

Ok so you mean redoing the profile from scratch. Ok, I'll experiment more and then eventually end up doing that, probably. Thanks in the meantime.


Hardware: 2016 Dell XPS15 - matte FullHD - i5-6300HQ - 32GB DDR4 - Nvidia GTX960M - Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD - 56Wh
Software: Plasma 5 - rEFInd - linux-ck - preload - prelink - verynice - psd - bumblebee

Offline

#806 2017-08-28 09:43:07

kihanos
Member
Registered: 2012-08-06
Posts: 9

Re: profile-sync-daemon - keep browser profiles in tmpfs and sync'ed

Hey all,

I've been using psd for a while now, but I'm still having an issue I cannot solve on my own. Whenever psd is on, and a browser is opened (I tried Qupzilla, Firefox and Chomium), and the computer goes to sleep (suspend), then, on wake up, the browser has crashed.
Has anyone else experienced this kind of behaviour? I have tried both with and without overlayfs, with the same result. Note that if psd is not running, everything works fine.

Concerning usual outputs, the systemctl status is still nominal. A "psd p" just shows a lot of recovery folders (34 for Firefox, 3 for Qupzilla).

There is probably a more relevant output I could show you, but I don't know where to look exactly...

Thanks for your help :-)

Last edited by kihanos (2017-08-28 09:55:54)

Offline

#807 2017-08-28 10:05:56

OdinEidolon
Member
From: Belluno - Italy
Registered: 2011-01-31
Posts: 478

Re: profile-sync-daemon - keep browser profiles in tmpfs and sync'ed

kihanos wrote:

Hey all,

I've been using psd for a while now, but I'm still having an issue I cannot solve on my own. Whenever psd is on, and a browser is opened (I tried Qupzilla, Firefox and Chomium), and the computer goes to sleep (suspend), then, on wake up, the browser has crashed.
Has anyone else experienced this kind of behaviour? I have tried both with and without overlayfs, with the same result. Note that if psd is not running, everything works fine.

Concerning usual outputs, the systemctl status is still nominal. A "psd p" just shows a lot of recovery folders (34 for Firefox, 3 for Qupzilla).

There is probably a more relevant output I could show you, but I don't know where to look exactly...

Thanks for your help :-)

Suspend works without a glitch for me. Firefox and chromium.


Hardware: 2016 Dell XPS15 - matte FullHD - i5-6300HQ - 32GB DDR4 - Nvidia GTX960M - Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD - 56Wh
Software: Plasma 5 - rEFInd - linux-ck - preload - prelink - verynice - psd - bumblebee

Offline

#808 2017-09-08 00:01:08

buttcake
Member
Registered: 2016-10-16
Posts: 20

Re: profile-sync-daemon - keep browser profiles in tmpfs and sync'ed

Does psd have an option to never touch the physical disk ?

Offline

#809 2017-09-09 19:25:38

Neven
Member
From: Zagreb, Croatia
Registered: 2014-05-02
Posts: 35

Re: profile-sync-daemon - keep browser profiles in tmpfs and sync'ed

buttcake wrote:

Does psd have an option to never touch the physical disk ?

Look here:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1733118

The second script there (called 'tb') does what you want (if I understood you correctly). And the other ones should also be useful for a Chrom{e,ium} user (there's a wrapper to open the bookmark manager and a script that sends Unix signals to root processes in a Chromium process tree, to kill it safely).

Last edited by Neven (2017-09-09 19:26:38)

Offline

#810 2017-11-14 06:41:33

Batou
Member
Registered: 2017-01-03
Posts: 94

Re: profile-sync-daemon - keep browser profiles in tmpfs and sync'ed

I've been running psd for few months and absolutely love it! Thank you, graysky and rest of the devs!

I have a question about the cache. My cache is currently in ~/.cache/chromium/Default and I've noticed that it's not being moved to RAM by psd. I've looked at the wiki and noticed that there are suggestions about moving the cache to tmpfs. Well, how about using psd to handle the cache as well? I've been thinking about moving it to ~/.config/chromium by using something like: chromium --disk-cache-dir=~/.config/chromium and then letting the psd to handle it as well.

Any harm in doing that? Has anyone done this?

Offline

#811 2017-11-14 08:52:34

graysky
Member
From: /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern
Registered: 2008-12-01
Posts: 9,264
Website

Re: profile-sync-daemon - keep browser profiles in tmpfs and sync'ed

man psd wrote:

*Note that some browsers such as Chrome/Chromium, Firefox (since v21), Midori, and Rekonq actually keeps their cache directories separately from their browser profile directory. It is not within the scope of profile-sync-daemon to modify this behavior; users wishing to relocate this directory, may refer to the following url for several work-arounds: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ch … e_in_tmpfs


CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs • 1.21 JIGOWATTS!

Offline

#812 2017-11-14 09:46:38

Batou
Member
Registered: 2017-01-03
Posts: 94

Re: profile-sync-daemon - keep browser profiles in tmpfs and sync'ed

graysky wrote:
man psd wrote:

*Note that some browsers such as Chrome/Chromium, Firefox (since v21), Midori, and Rekonq actually keeps their cache directories separately from their browser profile directory. It is not within the scope of profile-sync-daemon to modify this behavior; users wishing to relocate this directory, may refer to the following url for several work-arounds: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ch … e_in_tmpfs

Yep, I read that. Issue is that if I mount it on a tmpfs, cache won't be preserved between reboots. Since psd uses rsync, I was thinking about moving it to the same folder and just letting psd rsync everything over.

Last edited by Batou (2017-11-14 09:47:06)

Offline

#813 2017-11-14 10:59:47

adesh
Member
Registered: 2016-10-05
Posts: 167

Re: profile-sync-daemon - keep browser profiles in tmpfs and sync'ed

or you can use asd for the cache.

Offline

#814 2017-11-14 20:17:41

graysky
Member
From: /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern
Registered: 2008-12-01
Posts: 9,264
Website

Re: profile-sync-daemon - keep browser profiles in tmpfs and sync'ed

I never cared to nor noticed an ill effect of having ~/.cache as tmpfs.  Your use case might be different.


CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs • 1.21 JIGOWATTS!

Offline

#815 2017-11-15 01:04:54

Batou
Member
Registered: 2017-01-03
Posts: 94

Re: profile-sync-daemon - keep browser profiles in tmpfs and sync'ed

I've looked at the psd's source and the way it syncs and don't see any reasons why it wouldn't sync properly some extra folders inside of the "Default". I'm actually tempted to do this but Chromium (the Arch build from extras anyway) has been extremely buggy for me lately and plan on abandoning it for another browser so I probably won't bother with it for now.

Offline

#816 2017-11-15 01:11:02

graysky
Member
From: /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern
Registered: 2008-12-01
Posts: 9,264
Website

Re: profile-sync-daemon - keep browser profiles in tmpfs and sync'ed

Again, I recommend just using tmpfs and trashing it between boots.


CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs • 1.21 JIGOWATTS!

Offline

#817 2017-11-17 13:29:34

Batou
Member
Registered: 2017-01-03
Posts: 94

Re: profile-sync-daemon - keep browser profiles in tmpfs and sync'ed

graysky wrote:

Again, I recommend just using tmpfs and trashing it between boots.

Alright, I've been running Chromium for the past day with cache on a tmpfs and haven't had any issues. Thanks for the advice graysky.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB