You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-07 18:09:33

Moo-Crumpus

xfs / jfs: boot stuck after hard reboot

Hello, I have a problem that has nothing to do with workstation or server, it is a more common thing.

I tried to install xfs and jfs on my laptop. I installed the jfsutils and xfsutils, therefore all partition checkers are available. I use a fstab like

/dev/discs/disc0/part3  /        jfs  auto  1 1  # dump (1) - first on check (1)
/dev/discs/disc0/part1  /boot  jfs  auto  1 2  # dump (1) - second on check (2)

Now, when something goes wrong, and I have to do a reboot whithout soft shutdown, the system goes nasty. My partitions and file systems will be checked, everything seems to be fine, fsck.jfs tells me all is proper. Short after checked partitions, all is braking down. Partitions are mounted read only, therefore booting will last half an hour. The whole thing is more or less unusable, I can't even remount my partitions read and write.

So, I read some posts about reiserffs, that seemed to fit on first glimpse. But the more I read, I found it was not similar to my problems, because it was a missing fsck.reiserfs there.

From debian, I know jfs and xfs are rock stable, and shouldn't behave that way. Something, I have no idea what, is wrong with the arch implementation of jfs and xfs. I reinstalled xfs and jfs in different moods, from cd, ftp, with / without each utils, with and without check flags in /etc/fstab. Ugly. Once you hit the machine to go down quick and dirty, you have a mess.

If anyone has an idea, has done a fix, please tell me / us.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#2 2004-03-07 20:01:43

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: xfs / jfs: boot stuck after hard reboot

Any reason you use auto instead of defaults for the options?  I don't actually use jfs so I'm guessing.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2004-03-07 20:51:37

Moo-Crumpus

No reason but a broken system. I think it must be default, yes. It is the normal fstab, but with 1 for dump and 1 / 2 for check.

Frumpus addict

#4 2004-03-08 07:58:46

Moo-Crumpus

After throwing away my jfs trials, and a new try with xfs, I found everything well here. I will post the used packages and fstab entries later.

Until jfs problems are not yet solved, I would use xfs instead.

Frumpus addict

#5 2004-03-08 13:38:39

wdemoss

Out of curiosity, why do you use jfs/xfs over reiser? Are you just a curious sort like me, or are the technical merits to them over reiser?
-wd

Hobbes : Shouldn't we read the instructions?
Calvin : Do I look like a sissy?

#6 2004-03-08 15:43:50

Moo-Crumpus

I don't know exactly what you mean when you say "over reiser". I don't use reiser under my xfs  wink .

Lately, there was an overview in "Linuxmagazin" over linux' journaling file systems. Stability, features and performance ranking was
· jfs (surprising)
· xfs
· reiserfs

Reiserfs was quite fast, but made heavy usage of processor power. Jfs was the fastest, followed by xfs, with little processor consumption. Furthermore, jfs and xfs bring the better features and techniques, for my taste (f.e. fragmentation prevention, extent-based addressing, dynamic inode allocation, acl).

Frumpus addict

#7 2004-03-08 17:22:55

wdemoss

Pink Chick wrote:

I don't know exactly what you mean when you say "over reiser". I don't use reiser under my xfs  wink .

lol

thanks for the info, i'll look into that. Always on the look out for new and better things to experiment with.
-wd

Hobbes : Shouldn't we read the instructions?
Calvin : Do I look like a sissy?

Board footer