You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-13 17:35:43

windy

Gnome starts when Cinnamon is selected

Hello,

today I installed Cinnamon on my desktop and selected it in GDM. But after typing my password, Gnome is started instead.

This happens with both X.org and Wayland. The journal does not show anything about cinnamon.

Does anyone know where I can look to track this down?

#2 2017-11-13 18:05:12

archimboldo

Re: Gnome starts when Cinnamon is selected

Rules for problems.
Everyone has problems. Animals have problems. And buildings. And cats, and trees.
Problems are your friends. Treat them well.

#3 2017-11-13 19:50:25

loqs

@archimboldo

$ pacman -Qo /usr/share/xsessions/cinnamon.desktop 
/usr/share/xsessions/cinnamon.desktop is owned by cinnamon 3.6.2-2

#4 2017-11-14 09:07:33

windy

Interesting: After selecting the Cinnamon fallback session for software rendering, that session starts as expected. After that, the standard Cinnamon session also works.

But when I reboot the system, Cinnamon is still selected, but gnome-session is started. This is also shown in the journal:

/usr/lib/gdm/gdm-x-session[1056]: /etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
/usr/lib/gdm/gdm-x-session[1056]: localuser:username being added to access control list
/usr/lib/gdm/gdm-x-session[1056]: /etc/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: gnome-session

#5 2017-11-15 02:42:23

jc-arch

have you found a solution to this? The same is happening to me but using budgie-deskop, I had to manually go and rename the gnome session files so gdm didn't find them in order to be able to boot from budgie, so maybe is a gdm thing because the file was in the right place and owned by the right DE

EDIT: I think I got it, after reading this fedora post https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthre … lt-Session looks like gdm stores the last session per user under /var/lib/AccountsService/users/$USER: luckily it was stored on the same place on arch. After checking that one file, I noticed my last session was setup to Deepin. I installed it in the past, so probably the uninstallation didn't delete that value, GDM was trying to load Deepin session, didn't find it and made a fall back to gnome, so that's why it was always loading gnome. After I changed the value to budgie-desktop and re enabled the gnome desktop entries, I could choose and boot from both successfully. Looks like the value under DefaultSession falls back to the desktop entry name under xsessions folder without the .desktop extension, but I'm not sure because I don't have Deepin already.

One more option could be to setup the default session under /etc/gdm/custom.cof like this:

[daemon]
DefaultSession=mate.desktop

But that wouldn't fix the problem under AccountsService if the file has an invalid session.

Please let me know if that works for you as well! smile

Last edited by jc-arch (2017-11-15 03:20:07)

Board footer