You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-22 12:54:30

realloc

Tracker and GNOME 3.26

Hi!

tracker stores about 1,5 GiB of data in my .cache directory. It also restores this cache after it has been deleted manually (as expected).

However, I would like tracker to stop doing that, even if that means I will have no search index.
Sadly, it seems, the tracker-preferences program has been removed in GNOME 3.26.

Disabling "Search" in the gnome control center did not stop tracker.

Does anyone know, how I can configure tracker to stop creating this cache?

Thank you!

#2 2017-10-22 14:50:07

yttrium

Re: Tracker and GNOME 3.26

Remove the tracker-miners package. This will remove this indexing activity. Up to Gnome 3.24, you could uninstall tracker, but nowadays, it appears to be a dependency of nautilus.

#3 2017-10-23 18:59:35

realloc

hmm I dont have the tracker-miners package installed... still that .config/tracker folder gets filled up.

It seems tracker is a dbus service (whatever that exactly is). Is there a way to disable this service like with systemd services?

#4 2017-10-25 05:29:42

gnumdk

Simple solution:
rm -f /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.freedesktop.Tracker1.*

But you can also just disable indexed folder in gnome settings => Search => Gear

#5 2017-10-25 07:27:59

schard
Forum Moderator
Website

I am not sure whether this will work, but you can try to remove all write privileges from the respective ~/.cache/tracker directory.

macro_rules! yolo { { $($tokens:tt)* } => { unsafe { $($tokens)* } }; }

#6 2017-11-18 11:17:42

realloc

gnumdk wrote:

But you can also just disable indexed folder in gnome settings => Search => Gear

I can not click the gear icon, it is always disabled. However, which settings does this gear icon menu modify? Maybe I can change them manually.

schard wrote:

I am not sure whether this will work, but you can try to remove all write privileges from the respective ~/.cache/tracker directory.

Yes, I ended up writing a systemd service which does this after booting. This works, but its an really ugly solution.

Thanks for your answers!

#7 2017-12-25 21:51:13

newsboost

realloc wrote:
gnumdk wrote:

I can not click the gear icon, it is always disabled. However, which settings does this gear icon menu modify? Maybe I can change them manually.

schard wrote:

Yes, I ended up writing a systemd service which does this after booting. This works, but its an really ugly solution.

Hi, sorry for bumping in - but I have EXACTLY this problem now...

I attached a USB3-HD which is my backup (7 TB). It was really annoying to see this "tracker"-feature locked my files under /mnt/usbDrive, which I discovered with "lsof | grep..." because I couldn't "umount /mnt/usbDrive" even though I closed everything... Now I'm really angry about this "tracker"-program... Not only does it take up a LOT of disc space. It takes CPU and locks my drives so I eventually had to lazy umount...
Now I found out that the directory /home/myUser/.cache/tracker takes up 24.9 GB - out of 115 GB. RIDICULOUS! Who invented this crap?

Please share with me/us your systemd service - and/or other good solutions to this problem. Another good possibility for me, could be to tell this "tracker"-program to NOT try to "track" anything below /mnt ! I hope some of you can help with this problem, and/or share some elegant solutions, thanks!

Board footer