You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-20 18:44:40

armansansd

Firefox 57 : fonts not displayed

Hi everybody,
I am struggling a lot with Firefox since the update (57) :
some fonts are not displayed on certain website,
It seems to be a know problem on previous version, but none of the solutions works for me :

I followed the method to allow firefox to download font from website in the 'option menu' and in

about:config -> gfx.downloadable_fonts.enabled : true

also i did this solution found here, in this forum :

find /usr/share/fonts -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod o=rx 

and finnaly I remove firefox, erase all the config file (in .mozilla and .cache) and reinstall everything.
BUT STILL BLANK pages on codepen or reddit (for example)

I'm also using KDE, but since the problem doesn't occur on chromium, I guess it comes from firefox not loading the font of the website.

I'm out of clue,also I don't know how to get any log from firefox that could lead to an answer.

Thanks a lot ! smile

Last edited by armansansd (2017-11-21 10:07:05)

#2 2017-11-20 21:36:22

robg

Re: Firefox 57 : fonts not displayed

Hello armansansd,

First of all, please remove the unnecessary "drive me crazy" appendix in the title.
As for your issue, what _exactly_ does the "Fonts & Colors" option under "Language and Appearance" in the Firefox settings tell you? Are the fonts you see mentioned there installed? (e.g. pacman -Qs fontname...)

#3 2017-11-20 22:20:26

seth

Can you open "http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family= … bset=latin" and did you try a fresh mozilla profile (to avoid cache conflicts)?

#4 2017-11-21 02:02:35

cfr

In preferences, under the appearance/fonts, go to advanced and uncheck the option which allows websites to override your font selections. This will cause pages to render with your defaults, rather than their preferred choices. This is non-ideal, obviously, but it will make a lot of sites usable again. That is, most sites with this problem now display text for me, albeit text in the font I've specified rather than the font determined by the page's style.

I got this suggestion from a support thread on Mozilla's pages and posted the link in the Firefox 57 issue thread at https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 4#p1750144 (where I'd earlier asked about the problem).

It seems that not everyone is affected by this issue, but it is very frustrating and difficult to troubleshoot since many of Mozilla's own pages are affected. (Fortunately, these are mostly pages concerned with third-party add-ons and not the core pages.) Google also has pages which are also extremely badly affected.

Last edited by cfr (2017-11-21 02:08:42)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#5 2017-11-21 07:29:03

progandy

That seems to be a bug with font locations not allowed in the sandbox. Here are some other ways to fix it:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1418240

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#6 2017-11-21 10:06:49

armansansd

@ robg : Sorry, I edited the title of the thread for clarity

seth wrote:

Can you open "http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family= … bset=latin"

cfr wrote:

uncheck the option which allows websites to override your font selections.

Yes i can I've also created a fresh profil in firefox but I had the same problem
Also render pages with default fonts isn't an option for me, because I work as a graphic designer smile

progandy wrote:

Hello armansansd,
That seems to be a bug with font locations not allowed in the sandbox. Here are some other ways to fix it:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1418240

I read the exchange on this link and applied this temporary change :

change the preference "security.sandbox.content.level" to 2 

It seems to works on most website, it is really a temporary change until they fix this issue.

Thanks a lot to all of you !

#7 2017-11-22 02:54:19

cfr

armansansd wrote:

Also render pages with default fonts isn't an option for me, because I work as a graphic designer smile

Fair enough. But without this, I couldn't even read the bug report linked above to find out about other options. Mozilla's pages were seriously affected beyond the core Firefox support pages. (Add-ons, bugzilla ....)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Board footer