You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-14 20:27:47

yuvadm
Website

Firefox 57 issues thread

Couldn't wait to get Firefox 57 on my system so I installed it manually from testing.

Looks great so far, just getting a weird issue where the mouse pointer stutters when moving it over the Firefox window. Nothing special about my setup, using Intel Graphics with the modesetting driver + mesa.

Curious if anyone else got that, or any other problem with 57.

#2 2017-11-16 08:45:13

welkie

Re: Firefox 57 issues thread

I love the speed. But I'm having a major problem. The websites I log into don't stay logged in when I close the browser and reopen it. I stay logged into my Firefox account, my bookmarks are still there, my home page is still set, but everything is logged out.

This is from the official package.

Last edited by welkie (2017-11-16 08:45:54)

#3 2017-11-16 20:22:03

Roken

I installed from Mozilla a couple of weeks ago to test. At the time, it was snappier, but not a single one of my plugins worked. Over the course of the next couple of weeks, functionality started to come, and I'm now back on to the testing release.

It's still early days for Quantum, but here it now does everything I need. Stick with it, improvement is coming at a rate of knots.

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

#4 2017-11-19 03:25:49

cfr

I'm not using Quantum from testing, but from stable, so please excuse me if I shouldn't post here. But can everyone else display Mozilla's add-ons pages OK? (Either the main add-ons front page or the pages for specific add-ons.) I can see the images fine, but I cannot see any text. If I disable the site's style or switch to the alternate text view, i can see the text, but I cannot see it combined in the usual way with the images.

The only non-disabled add-on installed is HTTPS Everywhere and that is disabled in the extensions preferences.

If I log in to the add-ons site, some pages will show one or two pieces of text as empty boxes. I guess there's a font I don't have and it is not falling back to any kind of sensible default, but I can't figure out what it wants.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#5 2017-11-19 04:12:31

jsoy9pQbYVNu5nfU

It's weird to see all those big issues in the 57  GA release. I've been using Nightly since 57 and didn't observe such problems, sailing pretty smoothly (except for a couple of totally defect builds (Nightly afterall) with segfaults and Google Street View rendering problems (black canvas), or botched layout in the devtools).

I'm not using Quantum from testing, but from stable, so please excuse me if I shouldn't post here. But can everyone else display Mozilla's add-ons pages OK? (Either the main add-ons front page or the pages for specific add-ons.) I can see the images fine, but I cannot see any text. If I disable the site's style or switch to the alternate text view, i can see the text, but I cannot see it combined in the usual way with the images.

I had some style issues with the introduction of the new FF default themes. Try switching away from Default to the compact view and back, this unbugged the UI for me when upgrading from stable to nightly at the time.

Looks great so far, just getting a weird issue where the mouse pointer stutters when moving it over the Firefox window. Nothing special about my setup, using Intel Graphics with the modesetting driver + mesa.

Same graphics stack here and no such issues. This is under KWin/X11.

#6 2017-11-19 09:53:43

matoxxx

Please disregard this post. I found this issue is unrelated to firefox.
Hi,
I am experiencing random system hangs while playing web video (Amazon prime). No entries in journal, therefore I cant provide info for debug. Chrome does not trigger it.

Linux arch-mz 4.13.12-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Nov 8 11:54:06 CET 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux
HP 250 G4 (Intel i5 5200u)

Does anyone has the similar problems?

Last edited by matoxxx (2017-11-20 16:09:46)

#7 2017-11-20 00:45:09

cfr

If anybody has the problem I mentioned above i.e. text is not displayed - especially on Mozilla's own pages and, it seems, Google etc., try the solution described at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1185949. This will disable font selection for all pages, always replacing pages' requests by your default fonts. But this is a lot better than nothing appearing at all.

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#8 2017-11-20 00:47:15

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

No longer a [testing] issue, moving to Apps & DEs

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#9 2017-11-20 04:47:42

cfr

Using default fonts does not, it turns out, fix the problem of no text on all pages - not even all Mozilla pages. However, it does help. I can't comment in the support link I posted above because I managed to wipe my Mozilla password while attempting to navigate their pages by guessing-the-meaning-of-the-coloured-blobs and guessing-the-location-and-meaning-of-the-uncoloured-ones. I was not entirely successful, although it is surprising how little actual content appears on a typical web page, Google's pages are almost navigable by blob, in fact. (The main problem is the non-coloured ones - if they were all coloured, it would be almost simple.)

#10 2017-11-20 21:37:11

Nipsky

Firefox 57.0 works great for me in general, but after a while of using, it keeps getting stuck in an unresponsive state, not really frozen but not reacting to mouse or keyboard input. Not sure if it’s just a coincidence but I keep seeing heavy hdd activity when that happens (unrelated to swapping, I suppose, since I have enough free memory). Anyone else having this problem?

#11 2017-11-21 00:44:37

Steef435
Website

A friend recently told me that double clicking the empty space in the tab bar (which IIRC should open a new tab) crashes the browser. Are others having similar results? Will pay the Mozilla bug tracker a visit some time soon.

#12 2017-11-21 01:07:39

circleface

I just tried double clicking the tab bar and sure enough, the browser crashed.

#13 2017-11-21 15:44:10

imdn

That's strange, no amount of double clicking crashed the browser for me.

OTOH, because we had enough warning in advance that FF 57 had several breaking changes:
- I first used FF Sync to backup my bookmarks and extensions and backed up my old profile folder. Also exported data from extensions like uMatrix, and some userscripts to import later.
- After updating to FF 57 via pacman, I started off with a fresh profile. I had zero errors except for the one time when the browser crashed just after the upgrade.
- With FF sync I have my settings and ported extensions back. Had to redo changes I made manually via about:config though

Some beloved extensions won't be back, but the browser as a whole feels smoother and more responsive, with significantly less memory usage.

Last edited by imdn (2017-11-21 15:45:06)

#14 2017-11-22 02:12:46

kabbalah
Banned

The same thing happens to me, besides that in the reading of lxtask comes out: Web Content 1.3 GB  Firefox 500MB and Web Content 400GB that means that firefox 57 consumes 2.2 GB alone. And then it freezes and the laptop does not respond and it stays like processing and then I need to turn it off.
Disable Hardware acceleration, get down to 2 content process limit and the problem continues, I have not found a solution.

Last edited by kabbalah (2017-11-22 02:14:53)

#15 2017-11-23 02:51:48

cfr

I tried adding /usr/local/texlive to the list of paths which the sandbox allows to be read, as recommended in the linked bug report. However, this does not solve the no-font issue, so I'm back to disallowing pages loading of specified fonts.

security.sandbox.content.read_path_whitelist /usr/local/texlive

As I understood the discussion in the bug, that should be sufficient to resolve the problem. However, I seem to be missing something ....

[/usr/local/texlive is the only place I have fonts not installed by pacman, as I install TeX Live the KISS way i.e. from upstream.]

EDIT: It turns out it wants a trailing slash:

security.sandbox.content.read_path_whitelist /usr/local/texlive/

does the job.

Last edited by cfr (2017-11-24 03:16:45)

#16 2017-11-24 09:18:34

Vizitor

Although  new version comes with "Mozilla has doubled its web browser speed already and hopes to double it again in 2018. Say hello to Firefox Quantum", the truth is just the opposite.
Speed is (measured by observation) kinda slower, but scrolling page up and down, especially with mouse wheel, is so stuttering that I am thinking about downgrading to some older version.
Anyway, Firefox is not my main web browser for any site that requires password/login.

@ Steef435 : no amount of double clicking crashed the browser for me.

#17 2017-11-24 09:30:41

sakishrist

Unfortunately, the speed of the browser is still not good. at the end of a workday, I get around 20-40% CPU usage without anything special open. Closing all tabs does not resolve it. Restarting the browser does.

Actually, this is the exact reason I switched to chromium about half a year ago, and now I decided to give it a go as my daily driver again. A coule of days back, I had Youtube open and was working on another tab. Suddenly I started to notice some stuttering in the tab I was working on (not responding to text input) and after a few more seconds, the youtube tab started stuttering as well. The whole browser came to a snail paced responsiveness until it just wouldn't respond to any input at all.

I'm glad that Tree style tabs and most popular plugins have migrated to the new version, and I'll keep using it for as long as it does not screw up big time somehow. Hope the performance issues will Finally, be resolved for good. But from mozillas record so far, I doubt it.

------------------------------- EDIT ---------------------------------

And I think I have reached the point where I am going back to Chromium ...

Working with Grafana is an absolute killer for Firefox. After just a few minutes of working with and editing a single graph, it slows down and stops responding altogether after a mere 10 minutes.

Last edited by sakishrist (2017-11-24 15:43:34)

#18 2017-11-24 17:08:01

cfr

Vizitor wrote:

Although  new version comes with "Mozilla has doubled its web browser speed already and hopes to double it again in 2018. Say hello to Firefox Quantum", the truth is just the opposite.
Speed is (measured by observation) kinda slower, but scrolling page up and down, especially with mouse wheel, is so stuttering that I am thinking about downgrading to some older version.
Anyway, Firefox is not my main web browser for any site that requires password/login.

@ Steef435 : no amount of double clicking crashed the browser for me.

sakishrist wrote:

Unfortunately, the speed of the browser is still not good. at the end of a workday, I get around 20-40% CPU usage without anything special open. Closing all tabs does not resolve it. Restarting the browser does.

Actually, this is the exact reason I switched to chromium about half a year ago, and now I decided to give it a go as my daily driver again. A coule of days back, I had Youtube open and was working on another tab. Suddenly I started to notice some stuttering in the tab I was working on (not responding to text input) and after a few more seconds, the youtube tab started stuttering as well. The whole browser came to a snail paced responsiveness until it just wouldn't respond to any input at all.

I'm glad that Tree style tabs and most popular plugins have migrated to the new version, and I'll keep using it for as long as it does not screw up big time somehow. Hope the performance issues will Finally, be resolved for good. But from mozillas record so far, I doubt it.

------------------------------- EDIT ---------------------------------

And I think I have reached the point where I am going back to Chromium ...

Working with Grafana is an absolute killer for Firefox. After just a few minutes of working with and editing a single graph, it slows down and stops responding altogether after a mere 10 minutes.

Have either of you reported issues to Mozilla? Did you try using a clean profile with no add-ons?

I agree that the performance is still not great, but I'm guessing I could improve matters significantly with a new profile and thorough clean-up. I don't because starting over is so inconvenient. But I don't see much point in griping about Mozilla here. If you prefer chromium, good luck to you. If Firefox doesn't work as you want, give Mozilla the information they need to diagnose the problems.

#19 2017-11-24 19:43:35

Vizitor

cfr You pointed right direction! I disabled add-ons, and voila! Firefox working OK.
( I think soon those add-ons get updated to new version, so I'll have it back )

#20 2017-11-24 21:42:50

charlie

I've got issues with the Noscript add-on. Everytime I open the configuration tab for Noscript firefox becomes slow and then the adjacent tab (on the left) seem to not be updated correctly. When I close this tab then the previous tab is affected as if the issue was transmitted to tabs by closing them.

#21 2017-11-25 02:09:28

cfr

charlie wrote:

I've got issues with the Noscript add-on. Everytime I open the configuration tab for Noscript firefox becomes slow and then the adjacent tab (on the left) seem to not be updated correctly. When I close this tab then the previous tab is affected as if the issue was transmitted to tabs by closing them.

Yes. I was hugely relieved when NoScript was released for Quantum. Now, I have it disabled as it is more-or-less unintelligible and renders the browser completely unusable. (Some pages are all black; others all white; others show loading but never do.) If you don't use the configuration tab, it is not as bad, but it is still extremely buggy.

uMatrix and uBlock Origin seem to be popular (partial?) alternatives. I recommend at least giving these a look. They seem much more ready for Quantum.

#22 2017-11-25 11:38:51

dudevonrandom

For those that have issues with stuttering and high cpu usage when scrolling, putting

layers.acceleration.force-enabled -> True

in About:Config removed all the issues for me when using smooth scrolling.
Seems that "Use hardware acceleration when available" in Preferences does nothing.
Thats with an older nVidia card.

Last edited by dudevonrandom (2017-11-25 11:40:55)

#23 2017-11-25 11:47:24

Steef435
Website

I've been using uMatrix since the 57 release and for me it's just what I needed: blocking scripts etc. by default, allowing some. Everything is contextual by default, so I can just enable YouTube stuff on YouTube without enabling their scripts on pages that embed YT (like the NoScript default). The default setting is to also allow first party resources, which I've found to work pretty well so far.

But uMatrix blocks requests instead of execution like NoScript, so it'll probably result in a bigger footprint. So it's less great as a privacy tool, if I understand correctly.

#24 2017-11-28 18:02:03

charlie

Ok maybe I'll switch to uMatrix. Thanks for the tip.

#25 2017-11-29 01:28:24

cfr

Steef435 wrote:

But uMatrix blocks requests instead of execution like NoScript, so it'll probably result in a bigger footprint. So it's less great as a privacy tool, if I understand correctly.

I don't really follow this. It is true that it is less secure/private by default, but this can be changed so it blocks by default, even for first party domains. As I understand it, it also lacks some of NoScript's protections against click-jacking etc. But I don't really see why it would be generally less good at privacy or have a generally larger footprint. (Especially given the current mess which is NoScript.)

Board footer