You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-31 10:02:42

zorggy

Keep it clean!

Hello,

I'm using ArchLinux for years on different hosts (desktops, laptop, minipc as a server). It works perfectly and I'm happy not re-installing the systems twice a year. However I realize I'm not very clean as I'm testing new applications and the systems tend to inflate quite a bit.

Do you have the same way of working or am I so dirty? I'm searching now for a way to keep the systems clean. I thought about two possibilities:

• Snapshotting the Linux file-system, with LVM or btrfs: This way I can always come back to a previous, cleaner state, just before starting fiddling with the system.

• Having a very minimal system just hosting virtual hosts: One for normal use, one for tests and so on. I even could create some VMs for new services on a desktop and finally run them on the minipc (used as a server). I've checked with systemd (systemd-nspawn) and lxc.

Do you have opinions or suggestions? Do you have experience on that topic? I'd like to know whether I'm alone digging...

#2 2017-10-31 10:46:34

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: Keep it clean!

In theory, pacman is removing your applications and their dependencies when you uninstall them.  So long as they are not leaving untracked files on the file system, you’re good.  That said, build in a chroot and run new applications in a disposable lxc.  See snapshotting of lxcs on the wiki.  Basically build a base and snapshot it then delete the snapshot when finished.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2017-10-31 12:49:36

drcouzelis
Website

Haha I do the same thing! I install software liberally, then don't bother removing it when I stop using it. Only half of my root "/" partition is full. The software has absolutely zero negative effects by staying on my drive. If I see it pop up in an update one day and am feeling motivated, I'll go ahead and uninstall it. tongue

#4 2017-10-31 12:53:20

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … filesystem

And remove packages you no longer want with `pacman -Rsn ...`

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2017-10-31 13:54:36

zorggy

I wrote about testing packages, but it may be more tricky as replacing a standard functionality by another one. After testing, it's not only removing a package but putting back the standard service too. When it's about network, I may lose the connection.

That's why I believe I need something stricter than my poor brain to avoid forgetting THE little point that will block the host at next reboot.

Thanks for your replies.

#6 2017-11-25 20:45:37

quellen

sorry for my bad english

#7 2017-11-25 21:13:14

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

zorggy wrote:

When it's about network, I may lose the connection.

No this is highly unlikely and will not happen by replacing one networking package with another.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer