You are not logged in.

#26 2017-11-24 08:16:49

seth

Re: Wifi randomly drops over eduroam network

Check with "systool -vm iwlwifi" - whether random module parameters have impact on an unknown issue is a different matter.
The suggestion that it works with the lts driver indicates that this is a kernel (module) regression of some sort. The only systematic approach to narrow this down is to bisect the kernel. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p1747625

#27 2017-11-27 13:31:43

MartB

Hey,

linux-lts does not work for me, it happened again after ~15 minutes of use.
I got an PMKSA-CACHE-ADDED message right after the  timeout started.

Kind regards
MartB

PS: I will probably try a mainstream distribution like debian / ubuntu and see if it works.

#28 2017-11-27 15:01:51

nstarclix

Ok, I claim that I fixed the "random internet disconnects over eduroam wifi".
Here is what I did:

Check if you are using dhcpcd or dhclient for example via top/htop.
If you are using dhcpcd this could be the reason you are experiencing these random disconnects.
Continue ...

sudo systemctl disable dhcpcd.service
sudo pacman -S dhclient

I added 2 lines to the /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf (the file was empty for me except some comments:

[main]
dhcp=dhclient

Now I am running NetworkManager, wpa_supplicant and dhclient. I stumbled upon this due to the fact that NetworkManager moved from dhcpcd to dhclient and that in some cases (maybe ours?) dhclient is the solution. (source: archwiki)

I also did some other changes to my /etc/resolv.conf. I am using the local 127.0.0.53 nameserver now in the resolvconf.conf. Either uncomment the line or add it:

name_servers=127.0.0.53

For this I made sure that systemd-resolved is enabled:

sudo systemctl enable systemd-resolved.service

I don't know why but systemd-networkd was running as well but I did not use it at all. So I disabled it:

sudo systemctl disable systemd-networkd.service

Obviously reboot after you made any changes.
Try it guys and report back if this helps you!

seth wrote:

Check with "systool -vm iwlwifi" - whether random module parameters have impact on an unknown issue is a different matter.
The suggestion that it works with the lts driver indicates that this is a kernel (module) regression of some sort. The only systematic approach to narrow this down is to bisect the kernel. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p1747625

Thank you for the help, it actually worked but I derped a bit with the conf files.

Regards,
nstarclix

UPDATE: I am online for 2 hours already. Seems that replacing dhcpcd with dhclient was the "simple" solution.

Last edited by nstarclix (2017-11-28 09:21:33)

Less is more

#29 2017-11-28 09:56:21

MartB

I think you nailed it, it seems to be stable for atleast 40 minutes now.

Now we need to bisect dhcpcd and find out whats breaking it.

Kind regards
MartB

#30 2017-11-30 12:16:47

pinkie

It helped me. Thank you!

#31 2018-01-15 18:55:20

DanielPowerNL

Sorry it took me a while to get back to this thread. I stopped worrying about the issue during exams, and then was out of shcool over Christmas.

I've made the changes suggested by nstarclix, and my issue seems to have been solved. Or at least masively improved. I've only had my connection drop once in the past week, which is minimal enough that I'll blame it on my school's network. Thank you so much. Before this fix, it would drop several times an hour. I'd be happy to send you a little bit of Litecoin (or Bitcoin if you'd prefer) as a thank you. PM me your wallet address if you have one.

#32 2018-01-16 11:02:49

nstarclix

DanielPowerNL wrote:

Sorry it took me a while to get back to this thread. I stopped worrying about the issue during exams, and then was out of shcool over Christmas.

I've made the changes suggested by nstarclix, and my issue seems to have been solved. Or at least masively improved. I've only had my connection drop once in the past week, which is minimal enough that I'll blame it on my school's network. Thank you so much. Before this fix, it would drop several times an hour. I'd be happy to send you a little bit of Litecoin (or Bitcoin if you'd prefer) as a thank you. PM me your wallet address if you have one.

Thank you very much, but it is fine. I suffered under the same problem, I was mainly looking for solutions and other people having the same problem.
I just shared what I found and tested while solving the same problem everyone else here faced.
I am glad it worked out for you as well.

Less is more

Board footer